LGA Socket 775

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I'm lookiing to replace my motherboard, but my chip isnt fast enoughs o I was thinking I may want to bump that up too. I was looking at the socket T pentium 4's. I havent read up too much on them, so i dont know if they suck or not. Are they any good? Or should I just stick with 478?

Since you already have a Prescott...you know that they are very good performing processors when compared to pervious generation Pentium 4 cores. I would suggest you purchase an Abit AS8 (AGP only)/AG8 (PCIe only)/AA8-Duramax (PCIe only and DDR2) along with a P4 520 (2.8) if you are into ocing or a P4 550 if you're not. I would suggest the 520, you save around $200 and most oc past 3.5 GHz. For exmpale, my 520 is right now at 3.73 GHz stable...so you can see how nice they are.

Megadeth2 said:
Since you already have a Prescott...you know that they are very good performing processors when compared to pervious generation Pentium 4 cores. I would suggest you purchase an Abit AS8 (AGP only)/AG8 (PCIe only)/AA8-Duramax (PCIe only and DDR2) along with a P4 520 (2.8) if you are into ocing or a P4 550 if you're not. I would suggest the 520, you save around $200 and most oc past 3.5 GHz. For exmpale, my 520 is right now at 3.73 GHz stable...so you can see how nice they are.

sounds good.

I'm not really lookin to OC, as I dont really know how to do it. But I'm not really too interested in it, I want my box runniing as stable as possible, and OC'ing, no matter how cooled or how well it's done, always raises stability issues somwhere at some point.

So I want to go over 3GHz, but here is the kicker. I have a video card that I want to keep, it's the personal cinema, and it is AGP. All the Socket T boards I have found are PCIx and stuff. Any suggestions on what a good board and processor are? Money is also very short, so cost effectiveness is a biggie.

I remember also reading that the Socket T's only work with an intel 915 and 925 chpset. Is this true? I did find one board that has Socket T and AGP, but it only has the Intel 865PE chipset.

This post is kinda old. The 865pe chipset is good.
A gigabyte board GA-8IPE775-G is really good board.
AGP and LGA775 supports. It supoorts 4 gigs of DDR pc3200 ram.

IMPO (Experienced)

I've built a few PC's with the Intel P4 2.8GHz LGA775 520 CPU.
They are very nice Processors. Fast and can handle alot of abuse.
They are extremely stable properly overclocked. I WOULD RECOMMEND if OCing you upgrade to a better HS&FAN and use Artic Silver #5.

If you aren't into OC'ing then do yourself a favor and scrape off the thermal pad that comes attached to the Heatsink and clean it with ISO-ALCOHOL. Then apply a tiny amount of AS5 to the CPU.

This is what i have found. (other results may vary)
Thermal Pad - Idle = 44C to 46C
Artic Silver 5 - Idle = 36C to 40C

This CPU is about $155 to $158. Solid and affordable.

I know how to cool properly, as I do have a water cooling set up. I am several steps ahead of you already, and I use Arctic Silver 5 too.

Upon my research, for my video card's sake, I am not going to make the move to LGA775 since it is very difficult to get a board that has both AGP and Socket T, a good board anyway. I am just going to get a nice LGA478 board and maybe go up to 3.2 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom