Left side of monitor is brighter than the right. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Left side of monitor is brighter than the right.

I recently bought an Acer XB271HK monitor. I noticed after using it for a while that the left side of the screen is slightly brighter than the right. Here is a picture of the issue. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Is this normal for monitors or some sort of defect?

Matt014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
W͂O̠̳ͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕Ķ͎̠̱̰̓ͦĒ ̍̓ͦ

Default Re: Left side of monitor is brighter than the right.

Does your monitor have a warranty? You could send it for repair as it wasn't your fault.

My Build
CPU - AMD X4 860k @ 3.7ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 780
RAM - 2x HyperX Fury 4gb
MOBO - MSI A78M-E35
SSD - 120gb Kingston Hyper X
HDD - WD 320gb
Steam: zaka100123
zaka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It does have a warranty. Is this some sort of defect then, and not something that is typical?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
W͂O̠̳ͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕Ķ͎̠̱̰̓ͦĒ ̍̓ͦ

well its something got to do with the backlight. If the monitor came brand new like this, you can return it as long as the warranty hasn't expired. I'm not really sure if it is typical, I haven't had many monitors in my time.

My Build
CPU - AMD X4 860k @ 3.7ghz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce 780
RAM - 2x HyperX Fury 4gb
MOBO - MSI A78M-E35
SSD - 120gb Kingston Hyper X
HDD - WD 320gb
Steam: zaka100123
zaka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt014 View Post
I recently bought an Acer XB271HK monitor. I noticed after using it for a while that the left side of the screen is slightly brighter than the right. Here is a picture of the issue. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Is this normal for monitors or some sort of defect?
Normal. Unfortunate that you have a left/right variance, but still normal. It's called panel uniformity. The issue is on displays the backlight is around the edge of the display, so there is a challenge in making the display brightness uniform top to bottom and left to right. Most displays are actually pretty non-uniform, more so than people realise. It just so happens the human eye isn't actually particularly great at noticing different brightness levels between 0 and 10%. 10 to 20% and it's visible but only if you look for it, not super distracting.

You are only going to get a really nice evenly backlit uniform LCD display is you pay major money for a reference grade monitor. I am talking $1000+ from the likes of Eizo, NEC etc.

An example of an average monitors brightness uniformity.

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Corsair 450w PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Is it going to be the same for all monitors of the same model, or does the degree of uniformity vary monitor by monitor?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Is it going to be the same for all monitors of the same model, or does the degree of uniformity vary monitor by monitor?
Each monitor will vary, even if it's the same model and brand. All monitors of a certain model will have to fall within certain quality limits, say 30% variance. Other than that it's a crap shoot.. you could get a near perfect one (very unlikely as they tend to hold back the best panels for above discussed expensive reference models), but you could certainly end up getting one better than you have at the moment. But equally, it could be worse..

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Corsair 450w PSU

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Each monitor will vary, even if it's the same model and brand. All monitors of a certain model will have to fall within certain quality limits, say 30% variance. Other than that it's a crap shoot.. you could get a near perfect one (very unlikely as they tend to hold back the best panels for above discussed expensive reference models), but you could certainly end up getting one better than you have at the moment. But equally, it could be worse..
Okay, thank you for your response. Is this something that could get worse over time, or will it stay this way indefinitely?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Okay, thank you for your response. Is this something that could get worse over time, or will it stay this way indefinitely?
Nope it'll stay the same over time, neither worse or better.

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Corsair 450w PSU

Tags
acer, brightness, monitor