Leave on or power off? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Leave on or power off?

I shut down my computer when I'm not using it over long periods (including night time), and I put it on Standby whenever I'm away from my computer for brief periods.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt5 View Post
I was taught that turning off the power completely actually causes some damage to the comp because your sending a shock through it every time you restart it. I never "hurt" my comp by doing this... so i just turn it off. Besides, better newer mobo's still have power going through them even when it's powered down as long as it's plugged in.
Turning the computer on and off does cause damage, VERY little damage. As proof, I have computers from 10 years ago that can still run today on the same equipment, so it proves that you save money. Trust me, in 5 years, you'll realize that the rig will still run whether you turn it off or not. Then you'll see how much money you've wasted leaving it on.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Camera junky

i leave mine on standby when im not around, i have t set so if i wal kaway and dont coem abck for 15 minuts it goes stand by.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i leave my computers on depending on if they've got led's on them. so i turn off my gaming rig cause it starts right up so it isn't a hassle for it to start up, and its just annoying to leave on. but my laptop and server runs 24/7
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I will say i leave the media pc on because it is recording stuff at random times so i have to leave it on. But its only a lowly e2180 and 8500GT so its not exactly sucking down the juice like my q6600/SLI gaming rig does.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

I've got about 6 computers in my house, all of which are off when not in use because they are noisy as ****(except my main gaming rig, which I've set to standby if I don't use it for 3 hours).
As to 'damaging' your pc by turning it on, you're 'damaging' it by leaving it on anyway. Electrical current running through something will wear it down. But hey, the wear is so miniscule you could leave your pc runnig 24/7 for over 9,000 years! So it's basically just a personal preference if you want to leave it on or off.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
Turning the computer on and off does cause damage, VERY little damage. As proof, I have computers from 10 years ago that can still run today on the same equipment, so it proves that you save money. Trust me, in 5 years, you'll realize that the rig will still run whether you turn it off or not. Then you'll see how much money you've wasted leaving it on.
Ya, my teacher really stressed that you shouldn't turn it off and on. But i've been doing that all the time... On my older comp i just smacked the power button.. I didn't even go start, and then turnoff.

Newer one i am more careful with just because I'm dependent
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

New machines you CAN just hit the power button. Windows just does a shutdown anyway. It wsa the old school machines that just went off when you hit power.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Technically, it's worse for the equipment to turn it off and on, part of thermal expansion problem. However most modern systems are robust enough for MTF to not cause a problem, however it still is present. It is BETTER for your components to leave the system on but costs more in power. However the cost in power due to better energy saving features is small, in comparison the MTF of parts is probably minimal, too. So, to sum it up... its really up to you. Leaving it on is better for the system (but they are still sturdy enough anyhow) and turning them off saves money, but with proper energy saving techniques not enough to wrtie home about.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

As often as most of us change out components, thermal expansion isnt even an issue