Leave on or power off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Is there any adverse effect to shutting your PC off at night and turning it back on compared to leaving it on all the time as far as wear and tear on the hardware and electric costs.

I usually reboot before playing a game anyways but I have heard it can be hard on the disks to power cycle it every day.

its better to turn off when you done using it. when ever i know im not gonna be at my computer within the next hour i usually turn it off. saves money on the power bill too. as far as wear and tear well ya it will wear and tear less if you power it off.

I have heard reasons for both. Some people claim that it costs as much money to "start up" as it does to just leave it running 24/7. Personally i just turn mine off because the quad puts out so much heat that it raises the temp in my apartment to unwanted levels.

I was taught that turning off the power completely actually causes some damage to the comp because your sending a shock through it every time you restart it. I never "hurt" my comp by doing this... so i just turn it off. Besides, better newer mobo's still have power going through them even when it's powered down as long as it's plugged in.

What puting it in standby mode, does anyone know if that is easier on the system rather than a power off? It's probably about the same but you never know until you ask I guess.

I have heard reasons for both. Some people claim that it costs as much money to "start up" as it does to just leave it running 24/7. Personally i just turn mine off because the quad puts out so much heat that it raises the temp in my apartment to unwanted levels.

Thats exactly what I am worried about. My room gets a little hot with the systemrunning all the time.

same thing with vehicles and if your just "running into the store quickly".

i keep my servers up 24/7
gaming - only 4 hours on a day
laptop - if i'm not using it, it's in standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom