LCD vs. CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have:
17" LCD Liquidvision (or video I forget)
12MS refresh rate
1280x1024@75Hz, and it works great

Oh yea, got it at circuit city.

this is retarded.. like what was mentioned b4, it does come down to aplication and cost.
----------------------------------------------
if you only use the comp for word proccessing, web browsing, simple stuff like that. or you photoshop high quality photo's to be prited out. or for some reason u cannot fit a CRT in ur room. then LCD may be a better choise.

LCD's are a lot less power hungry. LCD screens are immune to images being 'Burned in', were as everything else CRT or Plasma are not. thy have higher native resolution then CRT witch makes detail's, such as defects in high res pictures noticable were it would otherwise not be on a CRT. ther is no LCD out there that can match a CRT's contrast ratio, video benifits from high contrast ratio.
----------------------------------------
if your using your comp for hardcore gaming, watching video's.. thats all i can think of, that totaly benifits from CRT.

CRT monitors dont only have lower native resolution, but there pixels are also arranged in a different manner(cause of native res diff). CRT's pixel placement causes a sort of natural anit-ailiasing(effect of less sharper image) as apposed to LCD's. this allows CRT to run in any resolution with no change in image quality, were as if u change LCD's res lower then the recomended native res, you will see a dramatic drop in image quality. this allows CRT to display -example- a 800x600 picture 19" in full screen res on a 19"crt set at 800x600 desktop resolution without a drop in image quality.

thats why CRT is soo much better for gaming, besides the faster rate. u can set a (19" 1600x1200native res CRT) at 1024x768 res to run your game. witch depending on what game and what hardware, u could experience a mild to very significant FPS increas, with no loss in image quality. on my 19" crt, iv also notice that in game i see no difference between 16/32bit color depth, so i leave it at 16 for FPS increase.

same picture quality and resolution apply for video's such as DVD's. plus the crt contrast benefits.

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
LCDs do have lower refresh rates...however who's gonna need a CRT refresh rate of 100Hz !?

I have a TFT LCD at 72Hz.....and I don't treck to the downstairs PC anymore because the CRT monitor operates at 100Hz- it hurts my eyes because I can't adjust to it. I treck back upstairs only to witness my TFT screen flash before my eyes (but not literally of course).

Anyways enough of my strange affairs... The frequency wont make much difference. Do what you think is wise with your money.

My friend has a crappy lcd monitor and in-games it "ghosts"

This does just get pointless. People have their preferrence and that is all there is to it. I for one do put a lot of emphasis on form, and the last thing I want is some big ugly ass crt on my desk, it looks ghetto. The other main point is most people here are either college or highschool students without a pot to piss in, so crt's make more sense.

The post about native resolution is correct, but IMO LCD's in their native resolution look better than CRT's, but of course that is my opinion. CRT's do handle other resolutions better.

It is rediculous to say factors other than picture quality shouldn't be discussed, there are many factors to consider. My current screen is my first LCD, and I can tell you, I will never go back to CRT. I play CS: S at 1680x1050 (my screens native resolution) and it looks unbeleivable. I would put it heads up agaist any of these peeps baige, 1970's, 200lbs CRT's in a heart beat.

The end :)

I concur, I believe pretty much all negative and positive bases of both have been covered. Lets not have another ATI vs. Nvidia warish type of thing. They both have their ups and down, its up to you to decide which is right for you. People should respect other people and the decisions they make, this is a help forum, not a convince everyone else of what I think is right forum.

crt have been immune from "burn ins" for years
Umm.. i seriously doubt thats correct. if u think that is absolutly correct u must provide a link to the information.

nothing but LCD is immune to burn it. though burn in doesnt affect the average user, unless u leav your monitor on with the same picture just sitting there and forget about it for weeks.
This does just get pointless. People have their preferrence and that is all there is to it.
my post didnt have any preferences in it, just fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom