LCD TV HDMI TO DVI no audio when connecting rca to jack!!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb LCD TV HDMI TO DVI no audio when connecting rca to jack!!!!

im trying to connect my pc to my LCD TV. I bought a hdmi to dvi cable and a rca(L-audio-R) to 3.5mm jack. I connect the hdmi on my samsung lcd tv and the dvi on my pc(video card 9400gt nvidia).

The hdmi to dvi cable is working perfect but i am getting no audio at all even when i connnect the rca to 3.5mm jack. I know that the rca to 3.5mm jack does work because i can use it on my stereo.

I have read other articles that are telling me that the tv disables the audio cable. I have tried this method below but i cant seem to find the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section i can find it in another driver 169.21 but it dosnt support my video card so i downloaded the 186.18 which does support my driver but cant find [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings].

1. Get Phoenix EDID Designer, (Download Phoenix EDID Designer - Freeware Software - Tucows), unzip and run the exe (no install reqd)
2. Click Tools->Extract registry EDID, then double click the line for your TV/monitor in the popup
3. Click Tools->Byte viewer, and note down the values in row 00, columns 08-0B (4 bytes)
4. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
6. Open the file "nv_disp.inf" in a text editor. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\169.21
7. Scroll down to the section [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings], add the following line there, replacing the "XX" values below with the 4 values noted in step 3:

HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, XX,XX,XX,XX,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers, this is in C:\NVIDIA\...\169.21. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

Is there any other way to fix this problem ive looked everywhere, please.
Can someone please tell me what to do, can i contact samsung or is there a setting on the tv i have to change.

Thank You
Please Help

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: LCD TV HDMI TO DVI no audio when connecting rca to jack!!!!

Is there some setting on your TV to change the sound input?

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 07-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via MSN to Sheepykins

i dont know about your television but for connecting a PC to my computer it will only understand one port, the hdmi and if it cant detect any sound then it wont let me use any of the other inputs as hdmi carries both sound and video so its expecting it through there,

i have an LG7000 and when i do it the way you're setting it up atm with hdmi-dvi and 3.5mm jacks, i can get video on one input and sound on another not both at the same time.

not very helpful i know but i didnt realise that newer TVs came so that you could do both.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

there are no settings for audio that i can change ob my lcd tv
Old 07-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I looked at a bunch of Samsungs today.

What I noticed was there were two different styles of audio connection for computers depending upon model.

one was 3.5 to rca and the other was 3.5 to 3.5.

The one critical part was that these connections only worked with one specific hdmi port. Check your manual for your model to see which hdmi port you need to use for the audio to work.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread