LCD Salvage - Newbie - Dangerous?

Baker

Solid State Member
Hey guys!

So I recently replaced an old flatscreen LCD monitor with a brand spankin' new one for my desktop computer, but being how I am, I don't like throwing technology away.

This monitor is at least 5 years old. It's an HP W17e LCD (240V).

The issue with it is that it fizzles out upon starting, hisses, and smells of smoke, but that is another issue for another post.

Right now I am just concerned about safety.

I have already unscrewed and removed the back of the monitor, and now I am left with this intimidating metal cage, with specialty tape and a lot of electrical work.

Should I be worried about capacitors?

The computer has been completely unplugged for 3 days.

I would like to use this monitor as a secondary screen, but is it a better decision to dispose of it?

Thank you,

-Adam

Attached are a couple of photos.

CAM00330_zps7549a9e3.jpg

CAM00329_zps66ccd1a4.jpg

Last edited:
it fizzles out upon starting, hisses, and smells of smoke

If the smoke gets out, it ain't no good. The factory puts a certain amount of smoke in it to run and if the smoke gets out....you can't put it back in.
Take it to a recycling place and drop it off

If the smoke gets out, it ain't no good. The factory puts a certain amount of smoke in it to run and if the smoke gets out....you can't put it back in.
Take it to a recycling place and drop it off

Very funny.

Honestly.... today I got a call because the client has an HP vs17 monitor that's dead, I gave her a Dell monitor to replace it and everything is good. The business had a power outage from the wind storm we had last night and I'm thinking this monitor might have got zapped. I opened it up and it looks just like yours, I found several bad capacitors that had the tops leaking. You can check the circuit board for physical damage if you want. LCD monitors are not like the old CRT monitors that held a deadly charge from the flyback transformer

LCD monitors are not like the old CRT monitors that held a deadly charge from the flyback transformer

They still are to a degree because of the built-in PSU that has large-sized capacitors on them.

However, after 3 days, the caps should be discharged by now.

Update:

So I have now separated the monitor into two parts (not including the plastic framework).

I now have the LCD panel, and what I believe is the power board, which is still attached to it's metal framework.

I had to disconnect a series of wires to separate the panel from the power board.

One large connection from the board to the LCD, which was detachable on both ends.
Two small lookalike connections that came from the inside of the LCD panel.

Upon examining one of the small pink and white connections, I noticed that the pink wire was blackened, and had black ash on the metal frame and panel. I believe this is what was causing all of the issues.

I used a flashlight to examine the still-attached power board in the metal frame, and none of the capacitors had a bulging top, although many were tilted a little.

Below are some pictures of the burnt wire coming from the LCD.

Is this fixable?

Thanks!

CAM00338_zps3e6feea5.jpg

CAM00336_zpse1f12f0d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom