LCD Monitor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

concept

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

i have a generic 15" TFT flat panel LCD moitor it says GEM on it, i guess thats the brand but i've never heard of it. :q

anyways,

I'm making a computer out of older components that have been replaced in my computer and this new computer has this:

Athalon 2000+
DFI-AD77 Infinity
Matrox Millenium2 graphics card [yeah i know its very old]
512 mb Elixer RAM
60 GIG Western Digital Harddrive
350watt power supply

I know that the proccessor is still good because i just recently upgraded the one on my computer, same with the motherboard. The RAM is good, because i just swap the RAM in my computer for in for it [im 14 i can't afford everything!:D]. The harddrive is fine, checked it as a slave in mine. and the powersupply I've had for a while, but fans spin so I know that it works [yes it has enough watts for the board]. The graphics card should be fine, I used it up till last christmas [when i got my ti4600, YAY].

I used the flat panel up 'till about a month ago when I got a CRT monitor.

So finally my problem...
I get no signal on the monitor, I try it on my computer and at everything goes smoothly until right after the windows 2k boot screen, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. The blue screen flashes too quickly to read before the computer reboots.

I've tried to clear the CMOS data but that didn't work. I've also tried different PCI slots for the card and made sure that it is in securly. The other computers card is obviously in fine because I use it everyday.

The computer with the above listed components has a completely blank harddrive so if that has anything to do with it.?

Sorry for making it so long winded...

Carl

Windows 2k and XP are set to reboot on error by default. Can you get into safe mode on your system?

Hit f8 on post until you see a screen that will allow you to boot into safe mode. Once there you should check to see what monitor type you have installed. If it's anything besides "plug and play" or "default" then you will want to change this to one of these, or remove it all together.

As for the automatic reboot on error (this means BSOD) you can change this setting by right clicking on the "my computer" icon, then goto "properties". From there look for "advanced", then "startup and recovery". Half way down the screen you will see a setting for "system failure" and a box for "automatically restart". unclick the checkmark in the box. Now you will see the BSOD when it comes up and windows will not reboot on you- shouldn't reboot that is. :)

I have no idea why microsoft decided to ship thier OS's with this setting enabled...

Anyways, hope this helps!

I would agree on the video card issue,,, we use the g100/200 millenium vid cards at work,, they die if you sneeze on them,, and the driver updates that were supplied by matrox, caused even more of them to die,,

to say that you used the card up until """" , is great, but how was it stored,, where was it sitting,, etc,, these cards are very very CRAPPY,,

if you can afford it,, go to your local PC swap shop and pick up a cheap vid card,, either to use,, or to test the problem,,

or,, take your card and put it in another pc,, ,,

check it out,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom