is an lcd monitor good for gaming? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question is an lcd monitor good for gaming?

ive got an hp f1703 17" lcd monitor and i have till tomorrow to consider returning it to best buy for a viewsonic va720, or similarly priced lcd 17". i noticed the viewsonic is well recieved, it has a higher contrast ratio of 450-1 vs 350-1 on the hp. the rest of the specs are greek to me, and im greek! i guess what im getting at is ....can you people help me make a good choice. i am into gaming and am worried that knowing the crt"s might be a faster screen if i ended up going with a crt. what do you heavy gamers do for display? any reciomondations? im running a hp pavillion a350n w/ 2.8 gig intel pentium 4 processor.1gig ram 160 gig hd, side bus @ 600mhz i think,soundblaster live, antec 430w p supply upgrade, running an ati radeon 9800 pro. thanks in advance! bassguy

Old 11-01-2003, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

get a crt for gaming. lcds are getting better, but they can't display as many resolutions as well as crts, generally dont have as good color reproduction, and have slower response times(takes longer to change pixel's color).

512 mb 2700 mem
western digital 80gb special edition
Old 11-01-2003, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

........mmmph, i was just getting used to this nice flat panel hp. should i use a second monitor, a crt, ,which i have, for gaming? and do you think i can hook it up to my 9800 pro, as a secondary monitor for gaming and keep my lcd for everything else. so as not to be switching cables etc.im not sure if that can be done. you know, ......just turn on the crt when you want to game and visa versa. i really like the flat, do you think it would stink that bad as far as speed vs the crt. ? i got till tomorrow nite to bring back the lcd and i would like to stay with an lcd if i can. so whats the hottest 17 lcd out there? one choice i have as i mentioned is the view sonic va 720 . its
my birthday tomorrow n im buying, wanna do it rite!....
Old 11-01-2003, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

the LCD monitors are actually slower responding than CRT's and has been tested against CRT's, they found that gamers with CRT's got further in games than LCD's (all other computer specs identical)
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I heard the LCD Monitors just aren't as fast as refreshing than good Old CRT's. Got Game Get a CRT!!!
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 11-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

I must agree with everyone here. LCDs can't stand up against CRTs as far as gaming goes........yet.

-Michael
Old 11-01-2003, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

Hmm... have any of you actually used an LCD before??

Personally, I would never go back to a CRT. I've had my LCD for about 6 months now, and I consider myself a hardcore gamer. Provided the LCD has a 16ms response time, you're gonna be just fine playing any game out there. Most of the time I play fast-paced shooters like UT2K3 and I've never felt even remotely handicapped by my LCD.

I'd suggest that before anybody makes any kind of decision about a monitor, they actually go to the store and try out several monitors. Test out the games you normally play, watch a DVD, whatever.. just get a feel for a few different monitors and don't base your decision entirely on other people's reviews.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Which LCD do you use? I am basing my option on LCD (as far as gaming goes) on Viewsonic and KDS.
The viewsonic was refurbished and the KDS was new. Both 17". I enjoyed the look and feel of the 2 that I used but the pitch and response didn't fly as well as my CRT. I play BF1942 which is a fairly good test for any monitor. CRT was a lot cheaper as well.
Yes, my opinion is purely based on my experiences and nothing more but opinions is what he asked for in the first place.

-Michael
Old 11-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
the flaming hermit

Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

I'm sure the reason you weren't impressed with the LCDs you tried is because they had a slow response time. KDS doesn't even make a 16ms LCD yet, and ViewSonic only has one 17" that I know of that's less than 20ms. My monitor is an NEC LCD1760v, which was one of the only 16ms LCDs on the market at the time I bought it. I'll agree that for the most part CRTs are way better for gaming, but if you have the opportunity to test out something with a <20ms response, I'm sure you'll see that LCDs can compete too
Old 11-01-2003, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I'm Heading to Fry's!!!

ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Closed Thread