Doing a quick search on the IBM Support site I found the following:
No video display on the ThinkPad LCD
1. Verify the ThinkPad system is powered on.
If the ThinkPad system power status indicator Power status indicator is not illuminated, then see Troubleshooting Power issues.
2. Ensure the system is not in suspend mode
by pressing and holding the Fn key for 10 seconds.
3. Toggle between the internal LCD display and an external CRT display by pressing the Fn and F7 keys simultaneously
on the ThinkPad keyboard.
* The Presentation Director menu window may interfere with the functionality of the Fn and F7 keystroke.
* There are generally three display mode settings to toggle through (LCD, CRT, and both).
* Some ThinkPad models only support two display modes. CRT only or LCD only.
4. Disconnect any external displays.
5. Power down the system.
If the system is attached to a docking station or port replicator, then remove the ThinkPad system.
6. Verify that the display works on startup for ThinkPad A, G, R, T, and X series systems.
Power on the computer and then the "Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility" or "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue Access IBM button" message is displayed at the lower left area of the screen.
7. Contact your local Support Center if there is still no video display on the ThinkPad LCD. Your ThinkPad may need service.
If problem continues.. call tech support and see how much it would cost to replace the screen to see if it's worth it or not.