Laptop won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeRuler99

purveyor of fine cheeses
A friend asked me to take a look at their laptop that they said was playing up. I turned it on thinking there would be some minor software problems, but the dang thing won't even start!

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2252AP, and when I turned it on the first time it went to the log on screen, but when I clicked the username I wanted it just froze. So I pushed down the power button to manually shut it down. The second time, it went further. I typed in the passed word and then what seemed like minutes later it started to load the personal settings, etc, however 10 minutes later it was still doing just that.

I left it but when I came back the screensaver must have come on or something, or possibly the desktop, because there is a baby staring back at me now. When I Ctrl, Alt, Del the box comes up, but I lost it when the laptop went into standby and now the baby is back and I can't bring the taskmanager back. There is goes again - it's just gone into standby or hibernation or something just now!

Is there anything I can do for my friend or should I recommend they take it into a technician. It is still under warranty so I don't want to do anything that will void that. The whole thing seems to be very slow. I would greatly appreciate any help or insight into what has gone wrong/is going on. :confused:

laptops are a little more difficult to work on without voiding the warrenty. typically, i would take the hard drive out and place it into a 2.5 inch external USB drive case and then plug it into another machine in order to run some diagnostics on it. personally, if you are concerned about the warranty.....take it either to the place where you bought it or to a technician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom