laptop video chipsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

I'm sure you can get medium-high grapic settings on Bf2, medium on d3, high graphics settings on HL2 (Source engine is ATI optimized! we get insane framerates! w00t!) :D

So yes, the x600 will give you some pretty purdy graphics man, don't you worry about that. It'll give your eyes something good to look at. The x600 is pretty much the PCI-E of the 9600 series. My 9600 pro gives me some good graphics. So yeah, if you can, actually try to find a laptop with a mobility radeon 9800 pro. You'll get even better graphics, might cost you a few extra bucks, but definately worth it. What I found interesting is how the x800 pro really beats out a 9800 pro, I think ATI really put their focus into the x800 series when they were working on PCI-E, and the rest were just PCI-E conversions of their agp lineup..

Now here's a funny benchmark on HL2 (remember, ati optimized, so don't rate nivida on this benchmark ok?):
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-05.html

haha, note the bottom intel "extreme" graphics. both at a sizzling 6.2F/S.. rofl, it was sucking soo bad on 1024x768 rez that on 1280x1024 the framerate diddn't drop cause it already hit the bottom! lol, gj there intel, way to.. well.. suck. :p

now this one actually shocked me:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-03.html

intel actually played fine!? but remember, it had the advantage of not rendering any advanced pixel shader stuff and no T&L either. so it just did texture n' geometry and basic particle effects. Intel really needs to learn how to make better intergrated graphics. I mean, at least get support for basic T&L. Many games require at least T&L to run, so Intel should at least get their specs up to absolute minimum to run most games. :)

Oh silly me, forgot to tell you guys with ATI cards how to gain a lot of Framerate back by simply modding 3 lines of code. :D

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/doom3enhancetheexperiencept2.shtml

That helped me get some framerate back. They say it's not needed on newer drivers.. but I dunno, I still use it.

Actually, HL2 runs ok on the latest Intel graphics, so does BF1942, UT2k4. At one of ourlast lan parties someone has integrated graphics and did just fine. I actually don't really care what kind of graphics intel includes for their desktop boards, other than to say that would they please give it some dedicated VRAM. Usign system ram sucks, an=d I need to buy a cheap ass video card for my server due to this (though it would probably be better to give it more than 128mb of ram lol)

so the x600 will play any game today ok.
i dont need everything set at hight and all that balogne just to be able to play the game without major gun lag(u shoot ur gun u see flash and the video stops for a few seconds)or anything like that. So relaly all i wanna do is play the games with minimal to no lag
and what about the x200M with hpermemory?

If that's anythign like Nvidia's turbocache, it isbn't anythign to get excited about. All it means is the card will take system memeory if it does not have enough onboard.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

an x200 will run HL2 okay. Not great, but ok, if that's all you're looking for. It also depends on the rest of your hardware. If it's not too big of a leap in terms of price, obviously you'll want to go higher.

Heyyo,

Hacp, he's using a laptop... it already heats like a mofo, ocing it would be insanity, especially on stock cooling solutions.

The x600 will run HL2 just fine man. You'll have pretty good graphics, and a pretty smooth game. Source engine is ati optimized, so obviously the x600 will work great with HL2, and CSS, and soon DODS.

digitaloracle said:
LOL Dell laptops. I wanted to upgrade my 4100s card, which I had researched and found it to have one of the daughter card setups, but the sales person didn't beleive me. Said it would cost be $800 for a new mobo with what I wanted on it. So I gave up, briefly though about upgragin gthe ram, saw that would cost over $300, and thus promptly bought a new desktop. :)
I looked into your 4100 briefly and found that you actually do have to upgrade the whole mobo. New costs $300-400, memory is quite a bit cheaper than $300 now. On Ebay I would expect it to be half of whatever the new cost is.
www.impactcomputers.com can show you what part numbers are compatible (and sell yopu the parts new)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom