laptop video card help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubby004

Beta member
im trying to decide on a laptop to buy with a decent price and i want to be able to play the new games out like battlefield 2 and i seen that it requires a 64mb video card

i have the choices between these video cards

ATI RADEON® 9000 IGP w/64MB-128MB DDR shared memory, (User adjustable, 64MB default)

ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® 9700 w/64MB DDR discrete graphics memory

ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® 9700 w/128MB DDR discrete graphics memory

i know that the bottom one is the best but i wanted to know what is the diffrence between shared memory and discrete graphics...will i still be able to play battlefield with just shared graphics it says its up to 128mb...but if its the same why are the discrete graphics so much more?

Shared means it gets its memory from the system RAM. Discrete means that it has its own didicated memory on the graphics card.

Out of them, I would get the 9700 with 128, but tbh, it isn't that great.

Yeah, you don't want to be sharing your system RAM with your video card. That's what my pos laptop does and it's slow as hell. Get the third one.

so if i set it at 128 it would take up 128 ram? does anyone have problems with there laptop getting to hot and shutting off...if so what processor do you use and which one should i get?

I recomend getting a Pentium M as they will use up less energy from the battery.

I don't have a problem with laptops, as I don't use them. :p a few people have problems with heat, as they don't have large heatsinks that desktops have (they have tiny ones) and they only have at the most a 20mm fan at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom