laptop software

Status
Not open for further replies.

1_Hit_Death

Beta member
im geting a new computer soon and its going to be a laptop so i just wanted to get your opinion on what graphic, sound and memory cards i should get to pump it up. im a gamer but i also have cartoons i make....

How much are you willing to spend on this laptop? Do you want it to be realtively portable or are you willing to get somthing heavy?

Something to keep in mind on laptops..
Several things that can't be changed: Video cards and screen size.
Get the screen you want and the best video that you need. These are things that are not changable. The Processor in a lot of systems can be upgraded a little, so can memory. It's best to get the higher end chips though so that you don't have to worry about it in the future.
Something else to keep in mind is battery needs, if any, and function. Most of the highend notebooks will work just like a desktop for most stuff, but in some cases they run a lot slower. so doing cartoons and playing a few games won't be hit too hard, but if you plan on playing games all the time, you will see problems, especially with the newer games. The more memory you have on a laptop the better.
Don't install unneeded applications either, as they tend to take up additional resources.
I'm giong to assume that you are installing XP and will probably have an office variant. My suggestion is to use office 2000 not xp or 2003. It takes up too many resources on a laptop. It works fine on a desktop, but on a laptop, it takes way too much away from other functions. Also, stay away from Windows media on the machine. Use something else.
My 2 cents...
Good Luck

well im getting the lap top for $500 becuase i know somebody who's in resell and wholesale. its not to much of a problem for money wise or weight .i know that the video and screen size cant be changed... all i want to know is what is a good graphics card like an Nvidia Geforce and what kind of sound card.......

I like the ATI chipset for the video. for sound, I pretty much just take what I can get. They all seem to be the same any more anyway...

For gaming the 9600 or even better the 9700 by ATI is a great card, almost up to par with a great desktop system. I've seen HL2 on a mobile 9700 and it ran great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom