Laptop for field work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotpLaura

Beta member
Hey everybody

I need some random computer purchasing advice. I am spending 6 months in Honduras and need a laptop that can stand up to an extended mule ride, dust, being dropped off small mountains, et cetera. And I need it cheaper than, you know, a top-line Toughbook.

I've heard good things about ThinkPads, drop-off-cliffs-wise, but I can't afford a new one. Is there anything vaguely economical that will neither die the first time I try to carry it in a backpack, nor crash when I demand something unreasonable, like word-processing, from it?

thanks
L

Try to get an old toughbook, it's the only one which will stand up.

Touchpad's are also durable, you can find them for a decent price used as well, how much are you looking to spend?

is that toughbook the PIII that was crushproof that was for the millitary or something?

another thing you could do is get a Tablet PC and a waterproof case from Otterbox. it also has "Drop protection"

here is a link: http://www.otterbox.com/products/pc_cases/tablet/index.htm
its for fujitsu tablet computers. that would be a pretty good option for you, as there are few options, and if the toughbook is what Im thinking it is, it costs $4,000 and is very dated and slow.

here is a pic for ya:
main_img.jpg

edit:
guess the toughbook isnt what i thought it was. looks pretty nice, but expensive and pretty big and heavy compaired to an otterbox case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom