Laptop display issue - weird lines, HELP?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbt04

Beta member
Hey guys, Ive got a Toshiba Qosmio G10 and am having issues with it at the moment, what happening is that when switching it on, odd dots appear on screen while flickering begins, then it becomes stable lines (vertical) on the screen, they change colour on different sceens and are not a burnt image or the sorts.
When attempting to boot into normal windows (xp mce) it gets to the welcome screen then goes black (no lines or anything) and the video card i think starts to make loud noise, fan im guessing.
If i start in vga or safe mode i can get into windows n un-install the drivers for the video card and then reboot into windows normally not using it. This of course is no way to use a once AUD$6,000.00 laptop!
Unfortunatly its out of warranty and toshiba are not very informative unless its within the 1st 12 months of purchase, have sent it to a pc/laptop repairer with no success as of yet and have given up pretty much; they tell me its hard ware as the lines/dots appear on the screen instantly when power is switched on even before windows has chance to get going.
Anyway, when in windows the lines change a fair bit, they are faint, yet very noticable and go in weird patterns to my desk top; on my internet browser, i will only see the lines on some parts of the screen, generally not where its white or pale yellow/blue.. very very odd.

Im not too sure what it could be, its had no physical damge as such and happened while i left the room; came back and it was like this.

Im at a real loss and have been told i may have to cut my losses with it; honestly not a cost worthy option for such an expensive Computer, please help, what should i look at/try or suggest my repairer to look into?!

Cheers - Daniel.

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 71
It sounds to me like the video card is overheating.

You said you heard some loud noises coming maybe from the video card.

If you have experience in laptop hardware, you could try opening the case and checking on the fan. Then you should be able to find a replacement. Otherwise, send it in and bite the bullet on the bill.

Yer, it has the fan on the card running constantly, sounds loud all the time, only way it doesnt come on is if i uninstall the drivers n dont use it..
I dont think its overheating as it fdoes this from the second i switch it on, im gusing/hoping faulty card?

well, man, here's something that i would check, but only if you're confident in your own ability.

Remove the front panel of the display and check to see if you have too much pull on one side of the LCD.

I remember replacing that bracket, had too much pull on the right, and the lines would appear more on the left side when touched when the right was too tight. Got all the screws calibrated so that the screen is physically centered, and the lines all went away.

Much easier to do IMHO with the front bezel cover off and the Lappy powered on, so you can calibrate as you go.

Just my spin on the issue.

yer, im not going to pull this one apart myself i would have and did my old cheaper lappy, but this worth too much to screw up, more so that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom