Laptop to Desktop hardware compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangemetaphor

Beta member
Hi! I'm curious about how compatible hardware is from laptops to desktops. What I mean is, how much of the hardware is interchangeable, if you know what you're doing? I'm still a novice, but I do know what I'm doing for the most part. I have three questions.

I was wondering if it was possible to use an inbuilt webcam from a laptop, with a desktop pc.

My laptop was a Toshiba Satellite A505. It had Windows 7. The laptop was completely useless, so it was no skin off of my back to take it apart.

I successfully removed the webcam and mic. They were built into the top of the screen.

What I would like to do is hook that up with an HP Pavillion p6000 desktop. I'm using an older monitor, however. It's a Samsung SyncMaster 570V tft.

Very square.

I'd love to know if this is compatable, and if so, how I would go about doing that?

I took the RAM chips out of the laptop. Same laptop, same desktop.

Are they compatable at all? And if so, how?

I have the hard drive from the laptop. I want to attempt to rescue my files before I destroy the hard drive. Am I able to do this, as well?

I'm mostly looking for a yes/no answer. If I could get linked to some sort of tutorial, that would be fantastic.

This is my first time OWNING a desktop in quite a long time. I've worked with them over the years, but for a few years now, I've only owned laptops.

I know what's what inside of a desktop, but as I said, the last one I owned was an e machines that ran on windows xp.

Going into too much detail, sorry.

1. no, the connection is going to be specific to the motherboard and manufacturer of the laptop.
2. no, laptop ram and desktop ram are different sizes so they aren't interchangeable
3. yes, you may have to convert it from ide to sata or sata to ide. Sounds like a new laptop so the drive is probably sata, in which case you can just use your current sata connection on your desktop.

1. no, the connection is going to be specific to the motherboard and manufacturer of the laptop.
2. no, laptop ram and desktop ram are different sizes so they aren't interchangeable
3. yes, you may have to convert it from ide to sata or sata to ide. Sounds like a new laptop so the drive is probably sata, in which case you can just use your current sata connection on your desktop.

Thank you.
I'm just concerned that when I go to connect the hard drive, that A. I won't be able to do it properly. or B. I need a connector of sorts.

But thank you very much for clearing up the first two for me!

You may need a connector - i don't know what type of connection the laptop drive uses. More than likely it is sata - in which case you will have to purchase a sata cable, connect it to the laptop drive then connect it to your motherboard on your desktop (this is assuming A)it's a sata connection B)your desktop has a sata connection on the motherboard).

You may need a connector - i don't know what type of connection the laptop drive uses. More than likely it is sata - in which case you will have to purchase a sata cable, connect it to the laptop drive then connect it to your motherboard on your desktop (this is assuming A)it's a sata connection B)your desktop has a sata connection on the motherboard).

I'll find out when I open up my desktop. When I do, I'll figure it out. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom