Laptop CD-Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
My dads gateway laptop has just screwed itself basically. He got tons of spyware and crap on it so I was going to format the HD.....one problem though, the dang CD-ROM drive doesn't want to read any disks.

So in short I need to find out where I can buy a CD-Rom for a laptop.

I don't know what kind of gateway it is though but is there a standerdized laptop CD-ROM type?

Thanks all

A boot disk does no good, if I still can't install WinXP via the CD-ROM....hence my need for a CD-ROM

they dont make a standardized CD rom drive for laptops, my suggestion is you need one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74949&item=6735859643&rd=1

Take out the hard drive of the laptop, use the convertor to install windows on your computer to the laptop HD and when it is done transferring all of the OS files to your HD and about to reboot, just put the HD back into the laptop and it should have all of the installation files already on it.

REMEMBER YOU MUST REMOVE THE LAPTOP HARD DRIVE BEFORE IT REBOOTS TO LOOK FOR HARDWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, thanks for the info Uzi. I think he'll wind up trading it in to gateway or somethin =/

And why won't a bootdisk work? Once FDISKED and FORMATED, it uses the cd-rom drivers for the cd-rom so I don't see a problem in using it. So there for, your cd drive will/should work.

His CD rom drive is dead, wont read, a floppy drive wont help you unless you want to install the Windows 95 Floppy Disk Version.

And why won't a bootdisk work? Once FDISKED and FORMATED, it uses the cd-rom drivers for the cd-rom so I don't see a problem in using it. So there for, your cd drive will/should work.

Atleast someone knew why:

His CD rom drive is dead, wont read, a floppy drive wont help you unless you want to install the Windows 95 Floppy Disk Version.
Therefore, it wont work. It's never been a driver issue. It's the fact the CD-ROM is incapable of reading a CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom