Laptop Audio Amplification - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop Audio Amplification

I have a pretty new toshiba laptop (Satellite M35-s456) that came with a STAC9750TG codec chip sigmatel audio AC'97 Rev 2.2 compatible. However, I just bought the Logitech z-5500 5.1 set and tried to plug it into the headphone jack as an analog stereo set and the amplification was incredibly weak. Although the speaker set said that it had 500 watts rms, it didn't sound even as loud as my friend's 2.1 200 watt set. I was wondering what i had to do to amplify the audio. I bought the soundblaster audigy 2zs notebook sound card in order to be able to plug all three plugs in for 5.1 audio but will that make it louder? What can i do to be able to make the set really loud? any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

#1: The 500 watt thing on those speakers is a lie, they like to use stuff like PEAK instead of RMS, same thing goes for PC power supply's.

It is good you got an external card as your current sound card should be only stero instead of surround.

Your headphone output however should have been the right volume if not louder, but give your new card a shot

Old 04-10-2005, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

it is 500 watts rms
Old 04-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by dannyck
it is 500 watts rms
Still a lie, measure how many watts it inputs (VOLTS X AMPS) and that number will be less than 500 at full power, and in reality if it was usi ng 500 watts RMS it would be pulling in quite a bit more due to the efficency power on the amp.
Closed Thread