Is LAN ethernet? Do I need an adaptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoAlpha

Solid State Member
configuring new computer, and the Motherboard comes with LAN 1x 10/100 or something like that. Later they also offer a separate wireless network adaptor. Isn't LAN ethernet? And if it isn't, what is it? And in that case, do I need an adaptor for ethernet?

while I'm asking,
the motherboard also comes with a firewire port, but it also offers the option of a separate firewire card. Do I need it? And will they install the card themselves or is it one of those annoying things you have to stick on the back of the CPU?

Yes the port on the back of the motherboard is for ethernet, althought ethernet doesn't just include the RJ-45 port that you are refering to. LAN just stands for Local Area Network which they usually call the RJ-45 port on the back of the computer. It should work fine with a standard Cat-5 cable. You don't need wireless unless you have an Access Point inside of your house.

Firewire isn't used a lot unless you have an external drive or some models of cameras. So one port should be sufficient. In my opinion don't go for the card...

Hope this helped

-Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom