Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (
-   -   Lan connection using cross-over cable (

d_source 01-19-2005 09:05 AM

Lan connection using cross-over cable
Anyone know how to set up a lan connection using Cross-over cables, not with ROUTER. This is my new mobo:
The old mobo i will connect one end of the cross-over cable into the 10/100 ethernet card, but on this mobo, which goes to the cable modem and which port goes the cross-over cable?

willsko87 01-19-2005 09:16 AM

i dont get the layout of your network. crossovers cables are used when connecting similar devices eg. computer to computer.

VIII 01-19-2005 09:24 AM

u mean direct link ??? just plug n play.... :)

VICone 01-19-2005 10:09 AM

If you were to do that, you would need to NICs on the new motherboard, one to connect the cable modem, and one to connect the crossover cable to the other computer.

Or you could just buy a router and not have to deal with two NICs in one computer, your choice.

d_source 01-19-2005 10:19 AM

willsko87, yes i am connecting 2 computers in order to share files and internet.

VICone, would i not be able to connect to the internet (cable) using the RJ45 port or the IEEE1394 port and then use the onboard lan card to connect to the ethernet card using the cross-over cable on the other pc?
Did that make any sense? LOL

VICone 01-19-2005 10:21 AM

*two NICs my mistake

VICone 01-19-2005 10:25 AM

The IEEE port is a firewire port, not network.
The RJ-45 port, the onboard LAN card, and the ethernet card your talking about are all the same thing: a NIC (network interface card). They typically have an RJ-45 connection for an ethernet network. You would need two NICs in one machine in order to connect to another computer and a modem at the same time without the use of a router.

d_source 01-19-2005 10:28 AM
The specs on this mobo say that i have onboard lan, 2xRJ45 ports.
So isnt that what you are saying? Do i not have all the necessary hardware on this machine? On my other machine i have the ethernet card, and i also have a modem.

VICone 01-20-2005 08:39 AM

Oh ok, I see that.

You should be good with that mobo.

mortified 01-20-2005 11:17 AM

Depending on the cable modem....
some can be connected to the computer via USB. If thats the case with your particular modem, you could use that connection method to connect up your new PC and then use the Xover cable to connect the other PC through internet connection sharing. I would recommend if you have the extra $30 to just buy a router, although windows can do some routing for you, it's not meant to be a router.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.