Lan connection using cross-over cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to do that, you would need to NICs on the new motherboard, one to connect the cable modem, and one to connect the crossover cable to the other computer.

Or you could just buy a router and not have to deal with two NICs in one computer, your choice.

willsko87, yes i am connecting 2 computers in order to share files and internet.

VICone, would i not be able to connect to the internet (cable) using the RJ45 port or the IEEE1394 port and then use the onboard lan card to connect to the ethernet card using the cross-over cable on the other pc?
Did that make any sense? LOL

The IEEE port is a firewire port, not network.
The RJ-45 port, the onboard LAN card, and the ethernet card your talking about are all the same thing: a NIC (network interface card). They typically have an RJ-45 connection for an ethernet network. You would need two NICs in one machine in order to connect to another computer and a modem at the same time without the use of a router.

Depending on the cable modem....

some can be connected to the computer via USB. If thats the case with your particular modem, you could use that connection method to connect up your new PC and then use the Xover cable to connect the other PC through internet connection sharing. I would recommend if you have the extra $30 to just buy a router, although windows can do some routing for you, it's not meant to be a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom