LAN broadband connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud

In Runtime
I'm in a college campus, and when i hooked my computer up to the internet, it was just plug and play, plug it in and bam.. thats it, but my roommate's computer wont do that. When i hook it up, it says its connected but when i open internet explorer it says its offline, i've tried everything i think even setting up new connections and all, but to no avail. its on windows xp, any advice is appreciated.

does your campus require you to login have patches etc? are you getting an Ip from the school server? I get these problems alot, but they correct themselves. theres bound to be a techie on your floor..

Verify the link status on the NIC.....check to see if the LAN connection is enabled..................see if you can set up a new LAN connection.........ipconfig /renew....is there proxy settings? There are a bunch of stuff to check.

A common thing for people....

who like to disable unneccessary services (like myself).

Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Be sure his DHCP Client Service is started

Be sure he's not configured for a static IP address rather than receiving a DHCP address

Also check to see if he has a proxy server configured

Hope one of these helps

turns out the internet is just messed up in our room, now my side is doing it, when i hook up to my etherenet port i get a messege saying there is limited or no connection, but if i hook up to his it works fine. heh I go crazy when i can't get something like that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom