KVM help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcophangus

Beta member

Does anyone know of a solution to easily switch a secondary monitor to a secondary computer and back?

I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW (digital) and Philips 170S (analog) connected to a Radeon X600/X550 series video card. When my fiance moved in she decided to usurp the Philips for her own computer (She can't comprehend why anyone would need 2 monitors, while I'd love, I don't know - eight would be sweet ... but I digress)

I have a Belkin 2 Port KVM Switch with Built in Cabling, used to control 2 computers with 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse, which I had hoped would solve the problem but it appears one side is dead. This option has it's own downfall anyway in that when I would've switched to my computer and get the second monitor I would also have 2 keyboards and 2 (er mice...mouses?) hooked up. Also, you have to connect at least a keyboard to double tap Scroll Lock for the switch.

Ideally, the cabling I'd like would be just for the monitors and possibly have a box sitting on my desk where I could just push a button to switch.

All help is appreciated!

Has the KVM worked at any point it's normally "ctrl ctrl 2" to switch from PC1 to PC2.

How old is it, if its under 12 months old it should be covered under the shops warranty an most if belkins stuff has a lifetime warranty on it contact them for a replacement.

The KVM worked 3 years ago...

I was running both her and my computer from the Philips at that time as her CRT monitor was like trying to watch the television next door - VERY hard to look at! Then her and I split up and in the interim she had bought another CRT and I bought the extra Samsung. The KVM was relegated to the 'junk drawer' until she moved back in with me recently. As well she got rid of the CRT she had all this time.

Ideally, I'd just get a new solution, a KVM without the K or M ... lol I just can't find anything online that doesn't have to do with KVM though. I've been surfing for hours now !

Here's the solution I came up with. For hardware I bought a VGA 2 port switch from monoprice.com (part number VS-121A) and 2 VGA cables. Total cost: roughly 30 bucks w/ shipping.

For software I'm using Actual Window Manager (Actual Tools: Home of Window Manager, Title Buttons, Transparent Window, Window Minimizer, Window Guard, Window Rollup, Window Menu. Free downloads.) which is a free d/l has a fantastic little function where, if Kelly has her comp running on monitor 2 and a program of mine opens on the secondary monitor (ie - the one I can't see now ;) I can right click on the program in the task bar and select Move to (monitor 1 or monitor 2).

All Problems solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom