Kingston value ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
circuit city had them on sale w/rebate (i got a gig [2x512mb] for $114 taxed [8.25% here at los angeles])

anyways, it's timing is 3-3-3

would that lower my performance? if so, should i do anything to change it and how safe is it if i change the timings

It's decent. the Cas latency has more effect on stability than bandwidth but of course this pertains to OC'ing the RAM really.

the 2nd set of 3's has more effect on bandwidth..possibly 100-200mb/sec difference if you benched it in Sandra.

As far as changing timings, that's up to your disgretion. They put it at 3 for a reason because that's it's safe settings. I have a single stick of kingston value RAM and I don't believe it liked any tighter timings, but you can try it if you want.

If you fry it, chances are you could still get it replaced by the manufacturer. I fried a stick of theirs and said "Yeah, I used a program memtest86+ to see if it was giving me errors and it gave me over 100,000" and they replaced it :D

i have a relate question after reading the above....

if you have ram with lower timings... example - 2.5-3-2-8 (i made up those #s)

and you run that ram at example - 3-3-3-8, would that make your ram more stable then default? and posibly increas its meantime between failure? or would it actually be bad even though its slower timings?

The lower timings the better. Mine is 2-3-2-6. However, the difference you will see in gaming with the more expensive, low latency RAM isn't worth the cost, so its best to just go with ValueRAM unless you really do have the money to spend.

Stability only applies to overclocking, not standard RAM use. So no loosening the timings won't do anything useful if you're using it for normal use.

low latency RAM is only worth it for serious overclocking because you can get upwards of DDR500+ if you get the right pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom