Keyboard is wacky suddenly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramus

Solid State Member
Hey all, all of a sudden on my computer the keyboard no longer functions correctly.

First let me say it is NOT the keyboard, I have tried 3 keyboards and it is happening with all of them.

First off none of the keys will type at all, including numbers.

Space and backspace create text(its in a password box so I cant see what it is, as I cant log into my windows account)

H became backspace.

Numlock, capslock still work.

Scroll lock tries to copy text.

These are a few of the messups, I can probably find more but its very hard at the login screen... some buttons became minimize, etc.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Try removing the keys and cleaning them, take care when doing this though, also you may have enabled stickykeys (This is just a guess but when these are on it messes the keyboard up).

oh wow... thats quite a mess. the only thing i can think of is maybe a keyboard driver, or maybe even the kbd ps2 port?

Ok, my guess is that it could be stickey keys (ApM), a virus, or you damaged your ps/2 port. Maybe you broke a pin off into it, or something like that.

Stickkeys are really annoying and match the description you said

To remove sticky keys follow the steps below:

(WinXP Home)

1. Click Start
2. Open Up Control Panel
3. Click On Accessibility Options
4. Un-check "Use StickyKeys" If checked.

There is also some other options in there you may want to disable, they have no purpose for average user, apart from that then could be a virus try using online virus scanner: housecall.trendmicro.com other then that try your cables see if they are inserted correctly (Yeah also see if there are the correct pins on the wire & back-of the computer) but i dought it will be the cables. It's software related

Oh my, I am a Virgin Techie it seems. :p
It was sticky keys I guess, I held shift, and then I hit shift both keys about 10 times and suddenly it was working.

Thanks for the help guys!

lol, Don't worry everyone makes mistakes I remeber when i done this once, real pain. Anyways here to help if I can :D

Ah, figures. I never even got to see your post but you were dead on. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom