keyboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
i'm having problems with my keyboard (logitech elite). when i was installing windows, it wanted me to press f8. i did, but it didn't work. i had to use a different keyboard to do that. when in windows, everything works completely normaly and the way it should. now, i'm trying to install linux. when it asks me if i want to install from cd or boot from harddrive, pressing the up or down buttons doesn't work, and since the default option is boot from hard drive, i can't install linux. i don't want to use a different keyboard to install it because after i install linux everytime i'll reboot it'll ask me whether to boot from windows or linux, and i won't be able to select one with the keyboard. i hope this all made sense. anyone know what to do? in the bios i can navigate perfectly and everything works.

thanks

is ur keyboard usb?

if so ul need to enable it in the bios or use a ps2 one till uve installed ur operating system/s

yah it's usb. as i said, the keyboard works fine in the bios and in windows. it's just that in completely random instances (or so it seems) it doesn't work. i had to use a different keyboard to install windows, and it looks like i will have to to install linux.

I've had similar problems with usb keyboards. Just get a ps/2 adapter from a mouse, or a keyboard... and use that until you are in windows, then plug the usb in.

Don't forget that linux's support for USB is far (how do you say) different thatn Windows. Thus when linux's installer loads up, it may not have usb support loaded yet, and thus you may not be able to install linux using a usb keyboard (with linux, nothing is impossible, but it could be much more difficult).

Good luck, try a ps2 keyboard.

The reason that the f8 key was probably not supported (and the arrow keys) is because they are extensions of the base keyboard (assuming that your saying the base keybaord WILL work.)

Try using other keys (other than the arrow keys) to select a boot device for linux.

i'll try using my ps2 adapter, thanks for the suggestion. what other keys can i use? i tried using the scroll wheel (stupid i know, but i was desperate) and the arrowed number pad. nothing worked,

thanks

For Windows to use the PS2 port for the keyboard, all you need to do is to plug up the keyboard to the PS2 while the computer it shut down, then turn it on. It should work immediately without any complaints. If you get a POST error about a keyboard not being connected, you might have to make a BIOS change, but in my experience, you plug it in and it's all fine.

Don't know about Linux, though.

I've learned to keep an old PS2 keyboard around and use it during the installation prosess of my O/S. Once I am up and running, during one of my re-boot's, I swap out the PS2 keyboard for my USB and all is just dandy. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom