AT keyboard broken, can this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijaysubs

Beta member
My AT keypoard port is broken. I have two keyboards, one AT and another PS2. I do not have a USB port but need one.

Now will this work:
I buy a USB PCI card, buy one USB to keyboard+mouse PS2 converter ( one side is USB male and the other side is Keyboard PS2 + mouse PS2) and join my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard there. WILL THIS SETUP WORK.

regards,
vz.

That will most likely work. Just make sure all the proper drivers are present when you try this setup.

I may be wrong here but I guess the motherboard won't cause any problem. Is there any such case that the motherboard only accepts the keyboard to be in the AT port.

So even if I buy a keyboard PS2 PCI card (is there exists one), this should work.

regards,
vijay.

vijaysubs said:
Now will this work:
I buy a USB PCI card, buy one USB to keyboard+mouse PS2 converter ( one side is USB male and the other side is Keyboard PS2 + mouse PS2) and join my PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard there. WILL THIS SETUP WORK.

regards,
vz.

They do not make a converter that has two ports like that. (Atleast I haven't seen any on the market). However, you will find a USB to PS2 converter (single port) and that will work just fine.

You should have two PS2 connections on your motherboard anyway... one 4 your K-board and another for your mouse. Are you saying that BOTH are non-functional??

> They do not make a converter that has two ports like that. (Atleast I haven't seen any on the > market). However, you will find a USB to PS2 converter (single port) and that will work just > fine.

There exists such converters, i have seen them and was about to buy them. I just wanted to check whether they actually work in the above stated manner or not.

> You should have two PS2 connections on your motherboard anyway... one 4 your K-board > and another for your mouse. Are you saying that BOTH are non-functional??

Thats why I am buying the converter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3678&item=5115132268

regards,
vz.

works after OS is loaded

I bought a USB card and USB to two PS2 ports, one for the keybd and another for the mouse.

the keyobard works but ony after the 6OS is loaded. "The keyboard not found error" occurs. I need to plugin my old AT kbd. is there any BIOS setting for the kbd to work.

regards,
vijay.

yes, got an old mobo

http://www.expression.com.sg/810dtc1.htm

this is my mobo.

I have never before updated a BIOS, I've heard that its a little bit unsafe.

What i have done till now:
installed the usb card, inserted the usb to ps2 (mouse+kbd) and inserted the kbd in the ps2 port. this shows me the keyboard not found error when the computer is powered on. my AT port is on the verge of dying so i gently inserted the AT kbd I got and its fine after this. so after the OS is loaded, both the kbds work (and can work simultaneously).

regards,
vijay.

yeah that's an old motherboard...

I'm sure there are many members here who would tell you to get a new one.

there are adapters for your AT plug in in the back, simple inch and a 1/2 long that adapt ps2 to AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom