Just finished building...possible problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreece2475

Solid State Member
I just finished putting together my new comp.
P4 3.0
Intel D865PERLX MB
512MB Hyperam PC3200
80GB Maxtor SATA HD
Enermax ATX 12V ver 1.3 PS

I turned it onto check that everything was running okay before i went to actually Start to laod the OS. IT powered on for about 30-45 seconds and then shut down. I tried Cycling the PS about 5 or 6 times, but still nothing. Not even the green light on the MB. Does this sound like a Bad Powersupply? Or is there something else I am missing?

was the heatsink securely fitted with thermal paste?
If the motherboard light is not coming on, you will want to test the powersupply. In order to do this unplug it from the motherboard.

If you do not know already there is a way to test the power supply without plugging into the motherboard. Bend a paper clip or something metalin order to connect two pins in the motherboard connector from your power supply. The pins you need to contact are in this site

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps1.htm

if the PSU doesn't turn on and you are touchign the right pins then you fried your PSU.

better the power supply rather than mobo or even worse .. CPU ... I'd gladly give up a PSU in place of my CPU :)

NCISAGENT said:
Maybe you put a PS in there without enough juice?

Whats the wattage?

That is exactly what I was thinking about.....

Try booting your system with the HDD and Floppy only (Unplug the CD-Rom and any other drives you might have) and give it a shot to see if it powers up.

I had this happen to me once, I still can't really explain it. I wound up getting another PSU and still nothing, I got another Mobo and it worked. A little while after the fiasco...I tried my original Mobo and my original PSU and the son of a gun worked...

So weird.

I am now thinking it is either the MB or powersupply. The Power supply is one of those Enermax ones that automatically adjust depending on what the system is drawing (anywhere from 280w-540w) so It should be more than enough. Anyone have any experiance with these? I also read that it has a saftey shutoff to where if it finds a short anywhere in the system it will shut itself off and not come back on untill the problem is fixed. Even though I would think that Unplugging it from the wall and turning the switch on/of a few times to cycly it would have fixed that, but maybe I am wrong.

What experiances has everyone have with Intel Motherboards? I have read good and bad. From most of what I read though, this is the most likley problem.

The good news is all of the parts are new, so I shouldn;t have any problems getting them swapped out once I pin down the problem. I am going to start out like HoLoCroN suggested and actually upplug eveything except the lead to the Motherboard and Processor fan and see what happens. I also have a 400W PS from my older system that I may try to hook up to this one just to see what happens. Gotta wait till I get home from work though 8(

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to post them. I am open to trying just about anything.

I just had a thought. Could a lose pin on one of the power connectors for one of my fans cause this problem? When I has hooking every thing up i noticed on of the pins was lose and pushed it back in. If that had come lose again with the vibrations of the fans when I turned it on, could this have cause a short and forced My power supply to shut itself down. As I understand it, any short in the system will prevent power for getting to the entier system (hence no indicator light on the MB) . does this sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom