Just built a computer, but won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, make sure the CPU heatsink is correctly fitted & is seated squarely over the chip. You need to have used a decent thermal compound as well & the right amount of it, unless, the heaksink had a thermal pad on the bottom, in which case, paste not req'd.

If you do remove the hsf at any point though, you must clean off old compound & reapply.

If thats all good, I suggest you disconnect all the drives & cabling this time & also remove any pci cads & the AGP card & just use the integrated video. If you have more than 1 stick of ram, then remove all additional ones. Clear the bios & try again. If no luck, replace the RAM stick you left in with one you took out. If you only had 1 stick of ram to start with, try moving it to a different socket.

If you still don't get anywhere, remove the mobo completely & test it again out of the case to eliminate any thing shorting the board. Place the mobo on a stack of paper before testing & make sure nothing other than the paper is touching the underside of the board.

I've had this problem but it was when I upgraded my CPU (well my friend did it for me since all my pc building has been flukes). He put the CPU in and put the heatsink on but it was the old heatsink my guess is it needed thermal greese. No signal to the screen and the cd drive light kept staying on and wouldn't open. I never found out what happened or how my computer got screwed but I bought new mobo and new cpu so everythings good now. This was about 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom