Jumpers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff-Raff

Baseband Member
What are jumpers? And how do i "Set" them.
I am building my PC. so i havnt even turned it on (Hasnt seen power)
Also when i turn on for the first time what should i Do/look for?

Jumpers can be for a lot of things. Mostly common on hard drives/CD-Drives. Basically to "set" them as a master/slave/CSL configuration. You could find them on the motherboard as well though..on older machines they controlled the speed and voltage of the CPU (this is how we would overclock in the old skool days). There can be jumpers on the mobo to clear CMOS settings. Basically little tiny tiny tiny plastic covers that block/allow current electricty

As for power on for the first time (aghh the anticipation of will she boot or not) just look or listen for anything obvious as long as you see no fire or smell anything burning up...then troubleshoot as problems arise.

well the jumpers should be fine when you get your PC. the only ones that you may have to adjust are the ones on your optical drives and hard drive. when you turn on your pc for the first time make sure everything is running (fans etc) and then after everything is on and running listen for any mobo beeps. two problems that i had when i turned my comp on were the hd jumper being on the wrong pins and my RAM being in the wrong slots.

Ok thanks, But how do i know what pins to put the jumpers. I perchased a barebones and orderd a Hd from newegg-OEM. I got the Mobo box and in this little bag i got two extra caps. SMALL so i gues thats what i use. BUt like i said what pins do i put it over?

And on the first boot should i discenect the optical drives and just see if it turns on first?

Keep everything connected, its always good to be optimistic, go into the bios straight away, and check to see if the CPU is set at the right speed etc. and put the boot order in the right sequence.

Sata hdd don't have the pins, but for IDE does. it should have something like "M. S." and another one, I don't have a IDE hdd arond so I can't check. M. is master, and S. is slave, set it to the appropiate one, probally master.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you really helped me.
So i dont have to worry about my HD b/c it's Sata,
And on the ptical Drives it will have a M or a S?
I have two drives
Cd-rw and a regular CD
What one should be master

It doesnt matter so long as they are not the same. You can only have one master and one slave for each IDE channel. Sorta like star wars's one appreantace for one master rules of law..

IMO the easiest method is to simply put the jumpers to CS which is Cable Select....the drive that is at the end of the cable is the master, the one in the middle is the slave....if it's two optical drives it doesn't really matter which one is master or slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom