Jumper Problem(?) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Jumper Problem(?)

Here's the thing, i recently purchased a DVD/CD Rom combo drive (internal), here's the rub tho, i can't use it while using my 3 Harddrives. If i unplug the smallest HD and boom there's the DVD drive. if i plug it back in tho, and the DVD goes bye bye....i'm TOLD it's a jumper thing but i don't know the first thing about this kinda crap. i KNOW it's been asked before but i can't find it (maybe i'm not wording it right in the search). But if anyone could help me it'd be awesome, like a website or something.

Specs (WITH the DVD rom and minus the HD)
Mobo: Intel Corporation D845PEBT2 AAC12587-403
2.53 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

i don't know what other info might be usefull, if you need more info just ask i'd REALLY like to not have to take out a HD =)

Old 07-09-2005, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

uhhhh guessing ide.... and did you get the drive OEM? The manual that comes with the drive explains all this..... unless you got it OEM.

A jumper is a little plug looking thing on the back of the drive that connects 2 pins together. You have one on all your componets. You have to set one(hd or dvd)drive to MA or master, and the other to SA or slave. Both should be recognized after that...... should being the key word there.

Also make sure your bios is set to auto and not disabled in the ide screen.

CS is cable select, most of the time that works, but I have seen it once act up. Usually the letters MA/SA/CS mark the back of the drive and indicate what is what. SATA drives have no jumpers(at least mine didn't)
Closed Thread