IRQ problem with MSI KT4 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilchardthecat

Beta member
I have an annoying IRQ share between the motherboard on-board sound and the AGP slot which holds my Radeon 9700 pro.

Both use IRQ 16, and although there are no conflicts shown in the device manager, I'm pretty sure I'm getting crashes as a consequence.

XP pro won't let me change the IRQ assignments for either of these devices (area is greyed out on the properties box). The motherboard BIOS will let me assign IRQs for my PCI slots but not for the onboard sound or AGP.

Help! (Before I waste money on a PCI sound card, and disable the onboard sound)

try and find a bios whitch has the ablities to do such a thing and flash it. Your bios should allow you to set it though. If no irq is on 10 or 11 put it onto one of those. and try that pci sound card you can dig crap ones up dirt cheap. See if you still get crashes and than you know its not that irq lines.
Fyi-Some bios alow 2 devices to be on the same irq. Hence irq line sharing. just something to know

yes micro i know about the sharing. and how it works i was just saying to the guy it might be a possablity that it could be an other problem. Not likely no but an idea yes. And yea out of the factory i wouldn't know why its on the same irq channel possably intended for irq sharing?

hi,

i will post the file when i can (am at work at the moment on a different machine)

I think i may have solved the problem of crashing, by disabling agp8x and going down to agp4x. I've also turned off fast-write and havent had a crash in about 3 hours of run-time. Having said that i've gone 3 hours before without a crash and then had 10 in an hours so....

on principle i would like my radeon to have a irq to itself
... its annoying that i cant configure this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom