"Invalid System Disk"

Status
Not open for further replies.
LunaNox said:
Ok... so wait.

I make this boot disk using a floppy disk. I enter it into the computer and then start it.

Why would I have to have it boot to the CD? Is is supposed to boot to the WIN98 CD that we already have or the boot disk I'm about to make?

Think of the floppy you are using as jump-start. You install the floppy and it installs the main files that you HAVE TO HAVE for 9x. It gets the rest from the CD.

Ok, thank you much!

I might be getting back you all when I try this out. :)

I hope not though! I want this to work!!

so many errors from the config.sys can be due to some corrupt RAM modules also. if ur problem is not solved with the bootdisk, try removing one by one , the RAM modules if u have more than one or replace it with another just to be sure that the RAM is not the problem.
then boot it form the boot disk, go to the CD drive and start setup of the OS u r installing.

All right, so am I downloading the Win 98 OEM file??

Or should I just download both of them to see if they will work?

And the RAM part. I'm not very technical with the whole inside of the computer. You wanna tell me exactly where these are located/what to do?

Thanks a bunch!

i had that same problem a few weeks ago. it turns out the floppy drive was bad, and for some reason it wouldnt let me install the OS without the drive enabled. so, i replaced the drive and all problems were solved. not saying that this is the same scenario, but, it just seems awfuly familiar.

MicroBell said:
Yoink.......this conversation is going in another direction...LOL Ok..last I heard...you were able to boot to the Win98 CDROM and had two options... a: Boot to Win98 OEM, b: Boot to Win98 (No Ram Drive).... So..which one did you choose..and what happened?

Ok, when I boot up the system from the CDROM I get two choices. If I want to 1) boot from the CD or 2) boot from the hard drive.

When I select one, it gives the whole list of errors dealing with the config.sys file.

And when I select two, it gives me the "invalid system disk" error again.

Boot Win98 OEM and Boot 98 No Ram Drive were the two types of boot disks I could make from www.bootdisk.com that someone (sorry...don't remember your name) suggested I do.

OK, dealing with your config.sys problem, are you still able to boot the computer? If you can do a fresh restart as in to format the hard drive. then try to install the OS. Go into the BIOS, change the drive order to CD install then change it back to C:

Cherubimon_3.20 said:
OK, dealing with your config.sys problem, are you still able to boot the computer?
Yea, we can boot the computer, but we can't get into the actual OS. It just stops working in the middle of loading.
If you can do a fresh restart as in to format the hard drive. then try to install the OS. Go into the BIOS, change the drive order to CD install then change it back to C:
A fresh restart? How would I go about doing that? All we can do when it says the "invalid system disk" is to just hit the power button and turn it off. That's all. How do I format the hard drive?

New Problem!!

All right, my dear dear friend has recently informed me that the floppy drive did not work before all of this happened.

We're going to try it anyway, but we're not sure if it's going to work.

I might be back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom