internet disconnecting :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to imager
Default internet disconnecting :(

Got a problem here that no one can seem to figure out!

My cable modem looses the data light - it stops blinking. This will happen about every 2-3 days MAX.
I have to reset (by unplugging the power) the modem, router (linksys), then plug back in and bam it all fires right up.
I've had modem replaced twice, and replaced patch cords, upgraded firmware, reinstalled OS on ALL the PCs (3, sometimes 4).
I havn't swapped the nic since the cable modem goes to the router, then router to PC obviously, and the connection is on ISP, not just one PC.

This problem only started when I switched from DSL to cable. The ISP is telling me it's cause I leave my PC on all the time; however I still don't see it being a PC issue since it's the light on the Cable modem - not just an issue with ONE PC.
I've also tried swapping around PCs, with still same reaction.

Any help would be much appreciated and this point I've very frustrated, confused and mad/upset over the entire ordeal.

Thx!

Old 12-16-2003, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

if you have the time and an extra machine, set up a Linux Firewall/DHCP server for your internal network. You will need two nics. Pointclark is a really good solution that I use, anyway, you can use that to monitor the connectivity you have to the ISP. It keeps a log of up times and down times for the connection. That should be able to help you with identifying a pattern. It seems to me that the ISP may be at fault, but there could be other problems that you are not seeing.
if you find that the line is dropping at least you can provide them with something to go with. Also, the firewall is much more secure then the Linksys router you have now. Good Luck...

Old 12-16-2003, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

My Mom has the same problem & it turned out to be her Cable Modem. She had the Carrier Replace it. Problem Solved.
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 12-17-2003, 06:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I really don't have time to install Linux on another box, fully learn it and keep up with it - I work long hours and have an infant son.

The modem has been replaced already. I guess it could be the modem yet again, but seems unlikely to me....
Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well, I hate to say this, but if you don't have the time to test or try to identify the problem, you are at the mercy of your ISP. And they will not be kind in the least...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

check and see if there is a firmware upgrade or update available for the modem/router. . .
Old 12-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have time to troubleshoot and diagnose things, but not do a complete overhaul on another box, install and learn LINUX - NO! sorry, but I don't think this problem should consist in me installing and learning linux on another box.

I just recently did a firmware upgrade (2 days ago) on the router. I see see any recent firmware upgrades for the toshiba PCX2600.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

No, I don't think Linux should be an option here. I go through Aldelphia and I know that I once had a tough, tough time with them and compatability with certain modems. I didn't think this was the case because, well, they installed them. But I went through 2 different modems before my internet connection worked steady again.

-Mike
Old 12-17-2003, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'll call them again and see if they'll replace the modem one more time I guess. I've done some research on the modem, and it's suppose to be a very good modem with little failure rate.

Thanks for the help and support! if anyone can sugguest something other - I'll take a sugguestion! Thanks!
Old 12-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just found this in my router settings:
Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day)

could that be causing it? Is there a way to make that forever and not just "one day"??

Closed Thread