Internet Connection, CPU Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech57@TSTC

Solid State Member
Don't ask me why, long story, but I'm trying to put internet on a old computer I have, it has windows xp because the previous owner put it on there. Problem is, its a old computer with something like a 450mhz P3. When I connect to the internet on AOL it connects at like 6k I think its because the CPU can't handle xp and aol. When I ctrl+alt+del it says its running @ like 100%. So my question is is it the cpu? Or is the modem jacked? Though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with xp being on a crappy p3.

The CPU does not regulate how fast data streams into your modem; the modem itself does that. I agree that running XP on a 450mhz P3 is bad, but it's not hindering your connection speed; at worst, it would only hinder how fast the pages load on your screen.

yeah well the install for XP also says it is the safest version ever but i've had more viruses even with anti-virus installed than i've had on a 98se computer without antivirus. trust me it is not the cpu, you can run on far less than that.i had a p-166MMX@200mhz with 64mb of EDO RAM running windows XP with reasonable comfort and a connection speed of ~46kbps. it is either the modem, the phone line or the fact that AOL is just useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom