Internal USB HDD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJDarknez

Baseband Member
I was searching around newegg, and apparently they have zero USB or FireWire HDD's.

This is what I'm sort of looking for:

Alot of internal USB or FireWire HDD's in a "server" configuration. I want to custom build a case for HDD's only. And a power supply to power them. I envision that case of HDD's sitting next to my computer, which would have 1 HDD with XP, all the programs, stuff like that.

Each HDD would probably be like 200 or 300 GB probably.

I'm not to sure how the drives themselves work. USB port on the back? Then daisy chain them? Or is there some sort of converter? Since newegg didn't have any, I dunno......

Make sense what I'm looking for? Is it doable?

you could get a usb hub to plug all the usb plug in... this would save some hassle if you are going to have alot of USB HDD's...

But y do you want to use usb? Are you going to take them out often?

i think he wants it usb because he wants to have a whole load of hdds and u cant have alot on ide am i right dj

lexon - USB because from what I hear, firewire isn't all that reliable.

psy - Pretty much. If I remember correctly, you can have up to 2 devices on an IDE channel. Just not enough.

But the problem is finding an internal USB drive. Can't find any yet.

i dont think there is such a thing as internal usb dive. only way is prolly to use an external encloser that usess a usb cable.

an easyer way, would prolly be to get a 'Controller card' or 'Raid controller card' that will allow u to hook up lots of dirves. i dont have experience with any, but i think i read somewere then some allow u to hook up example- 20 HDD's ina row on one EIDE cable from the controller card. (i dont know the limits, like if thats only for SCSI, like i said i dont now much aboutem)

yea there is no internal usb.. unless your thinkin of serial ata. if you want a lot of internal drives, i would go scsi, prices have went down on them a bit

I was looking at SATA originally. Maybe I'll just stick with that. I was going to go with USB2, since I already have a few ports. I have no idea where the little ATA - SATA converter is, so that's what that is.

So maybe get a SATA controller card (if one exists) and run an external cable to the other case with the drives in it. From drive to drive inside that case, ribbon or something....

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom