Internal 3.5 flash memory reader USB 2.0 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ganconer

Beta member
I hope I'm not showing off all of my ignorance by posting, but I've exhausted just about all of my options and I need some help.

I purchased an internal USB flash memory drive after the one that came with my digital camera decided it was time to retire. I'm not a complete novice with computers, and I've added a lot to the Dell we picked up a couple years ago without any trouble to date, but this has me stumped.

The connectors on the back of the drive are slightly foreign to me. There are 2 cables, each with a 2x5 pin connector (neither of them are actually long enough to reach the motherboard). One is labeled Front Panel, and the other is labeled Motherboard. Otherwise they are identical.

First, I naively expected the USB 2.0 internal connection to be a USB connector. Ha ha. Nothing on my computer's motherboard resembles the 10-pin header that might match these connectors. There's one 2x4 pin header on my USB PCI card, but I would rather not mess with that unless I know for sure what I'm doing.

So I've got 2 problems. I don't know where to connect the drive, and the cables are not long enough to connect them if I did. I am hoping someone can enlighten me on the nature of the connectors and what I need to do with them, and perhaps point me in the direction of a retailer who might have longer cables...

The drive is a HP 7 in 1 USB 2.0 Internal Media Reader.

Thanks in advance!

There is two standards for internal USB connectors. 4 and 5 pin. The 5 pin is more commonly found on motherboards, and I believe the extra pin is for some kind of current regulation. The 4 pin kind is often found on daughter cards such as a PCI USB card. Unfortunatly it doesn't sound like your mother board has another onboard USB Hub that you can plug that expansion into, and the PCI card only has the 4 pin connector as you said.

You could do some searching online and see if you can get an adapter to change from 5 pin down to 4 pin, but I haven't personaly seen any. You could also check and see if the 7-1 comes in 4 pin instead of 5 pin and try and exchange it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I'll try your suggestions - if the 5-pin connector will seat on the 4 pin header on my USB card that would be enough to make me happy. The cable is STILL too short though...

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom