Interesting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I ran it and rebooted and the test came up. But after like 3 hours, my patience ran out and I rebooted. What am I looking for in this test, exactly? It seemed that the same things kept coming up over and over again.

I think you should also check your hard drive for problems. Is it making any abnormal noises?
Find out what the brand of hard drive it is, then get a diagnostic utility to put on a CD boot disc or a floppy.

You should be able to get this from the manufacturers' website.

Noises...well, while I was starting that memtest, a familiar noise started up. It sounded like a mildly high-pitched humming. I don't think it has been doing that forever, but it also hasn't started that noise recently.
I dunno why it would be the HD. I'll check the stuff on the HD, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. :confused:

If it shows errors in memtest it's saying the RAM is bad. If it says 0 errors, especially after 3 hours then the RAM is fine.

I didn't see any errors pop up for the first 45 minutes but I don't know about the rest of the time. Should I run the test again to see? I'm gonna be going to bed in a bit, so that would be a good time to run it, then check it in the morning.

it only takes like 25-30 mins to do one full test rotation, meaning tests 1-7, there's also the extended tests which runs 12 different tests, but if it passes once chances are you're good to go but you could let it run overnight if you wanted.

You could always get an HD diagnostic program to see if the HD is causing trouble.

When was the last time that comp was formatted or even defragged for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom