Intel Wakeup Call: AMD Server/Desktop Dual Cores by June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading an article that said that these new Dual Core CPU's are going to demand much more out of the PSU. Somewhere in the range of 125w - 175w. The article was on tomshardware.com (somewhere).

I can see it now, "700w-800w" PSU's @ newegg.com.

They could allways try to improve the cores even more....
Says you who doesn't know the first thing about the construction of a CPU....not saying I do either, I'm just making a point. If you don't even know the full capabilities that this core can offer yet, what went into making it and all that then how do you know it can be improved? They could simply be ahead of schedule and any further 'improvements' might wind up taking months or beyond a year. THIS IS A RACE MAN!!!! A RACE TO THE MOON!

Anywho..........mmmmmmmmm dual cores :drool:

So intel is going desktop then server huh and AMD is doing the opposite.......I'd think from a business aspect the server would be best to go with first since last I heard microsoft had made a $60 billion deal with AMD for server processors sooooooooo yeah lol, that's probably a whole helluva lot more than the combined total of desktop users when it first comes out

I was reading an article that said that these new Dual Core CPU's are going to demand much more out of the PSU. Somewhere in the range of 125w - 175w. The article was on tomshardware.com (somewhere).

I can see it now, "700w-800w" PSU's @ newegg.com.
lol they actually have those. Thermaltake 680w is like $150 actually...... But yeah, I don't know where you were reading, hope you can find that article, because last time I saw anything about it, they were talking about how AMD succeeded and making them a low power low heat solution while Intel went opposite and theirs were requiring a lot of power and heat.

Not 100% sure though

improve the cores?If they are shippping in june the tooling is already almost complete, or is complete now, only improvement will come will be with future models

as far as power consumption, dual opterons are pretty power hungry now, why would a dual core be any different?

as far as power consumption, dual opterons are pretty power hungry now, why would a dual core be any different?
Because the way the cores are made is different. That's why you see venice cores being 100% stable at 2.2GHz with as little as 1.2vcore ;)

Thats kinda my point, the whole move to multicore CPU's is because theyve reached the realistic limits of heat dissipation vs FLOPS/clock speeds with single cores,so multicores are the next logical step.Assuming the power consumption will dramatically increase isnt gonna happen, dual opts setups are around now, the dual cores will use the same or less power, even after a year or two and they do some more optimization of the design I cant see them using much more juice than multi processor setups do now, so the power supply is kinda moot at this time.

The real issue here will be, what about software, dual cores arent a problem for windows now, but more than that and it is.OTOH, other OS's already exist that can handle many many multicore CPU's right now without any changes, to me thats going to really shake things up a bit in the PC world.Wont be long, maybe end of 2006 and we'll see dual dual cores or quad dual core setups, that effectively nullifies windows :) Might see dual dual core mobo's by end of 2005.

Well.......I guess they are banking on Windows64 to be able to handle it all.....didn't someone post a screen a while back of it being able to recognize and handl like 32 threads like '32 diff CPUs" or something along those lines?

But whereas the rest of the software is concerned I honestly don't know, desktop dual cores wouldn't be worth the money unless all software supported it along with games

As far as I know, windows64 can handle at most 2 independent cpu's, and the kernel task scheduler for windows still sucks bigtime, which has been mentioned in the reviews of the dual core prototypes, so does the thread limit windows currently has.But, OS X,linux, and the BSD's dont have this issue, theyve been multiprocesssor for quite some time.

Gonna be real interesting to see what apple's reaction to this will be cause a dual core running a little faster, say maybe next generation of these things, will make the dual G5 look like a punk toy LOL, and be competitive or even cheaper bang for the buck wise by quite a bit.

IBM has taken the PPC architecture almost as far as it can go with the G5, wouldnt shock me if apple made the switch in a year or two, that would certainly change things alot.I havent heard any rumors yet of what IBM's response to this is just yet, I bet they are watching it closely.Intel got burned and so did windows when AMD went ahead with the 64 series even without their blessings.

Just a guess at this point, but multi GPU vid cards are near their limits too, imagine them working in parallel with multicore CPU's !! I think that is what the future will be, and its not far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom