intel vs amd(for my parents new comp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
Ok, my parents want a new computer. they want a box, and they want that box to cost no more than $500. Now, they will not be doing any multimedia stuff. they will be using it for business applications(taxes, microsoft word, excel, other business software) i want to know which processor will perform better in these areas (remember, im not looking at multimedia applications.) They want 512mb of ram, a cheap, but mainstream vid card(geforce mx something) nothing impressive on the vid card, but enough to get the job done(they will not be gaming) an 80gb hard drive. winxp pro(or 2000)the os is not included in the price of $500. but i really want to know which processor amd or intel will perform better in business type applications.

I see why they dont want to spend over $500 dollars. looks like they spent all the money on your machine. Just kidding( nice machine). AMD does very well in home/office/buisiness applications. The only thing that intel beats them on is gaming and a few encoding apps. Are you building them this machine or is it to be bought whole. If you are building the cpu get a good motherboard and put the cheapest processor in it and if that is not enough then have them upgrade. But just for every day business apps even a high clocked duron or a low athlon xp shoud do fine, then when prices drop and they need more speed, then upgrade. I would invest in a good stable motherboard and go cheap on the CPU. Easier to upgrade a CPU than a motherboard. and cpu prices drop faster than do motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom