Intel vs. AMD (just a question) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Intel vs. AMD (just a question)

Perhaps your paper should use a synthesis format, with the closing stating your preference and why. You could compare the two, mentioning and citing the pros and cons of each. You can find websites on both sides easily. If you must be on a side of the Intel vs AMD battle, then it may be best to either argue "bang for your buck" or "performance".

Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

In my past experience I've found some computer programs didn't run properly on AMD CPUs but were fine on Intels. I haven't seen this in the last few years though so it probably means both Windows and AMD chips have improved. Generally I've found AMD chips are used in systems when low price is more important than performance, but it's not just the AMD chips that are cheaper - there are several other hardware choices which were also used for low price not performance - so the low performance is not due solely to the use of AMD chips.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Uh, Windows doesn't have a chip... Unless you meant Intel. I never saw an application not working in AMD...
Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

AMD has not had issues with programs not working, they both support the exact same architexture... Unless you are talking about trying to run a 64bit installer on a 32bit cpu, that had my "IT" teacher confused at first.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I agree AMD has not had recent issues running Windows and Windows programs for several generations of their processors. It was around the time the Intel Pentium first came out that there were the last issues with certain programs not running on AMD processors.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I doubt that, as AMD for a long time was producing processors FOR Intel. Now, at one time, some companies wrote software that would take an advantage of the Intel processor, and would hinder performance on an AMD processor, but that raised a lot of lawsuits.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojomoso View Post
no i dont want a discussion of which is better, i am writing a persuasive paper for school and i wanted to do it on intel vs AMD processors. Could you post articals that range from discussions to spec information to quotes, all would help. Thanks
(btw i wasnt sure where to post this)
1. Each Manufacturer has their own devout set of followers.
2. Different Chips from each Manufacturer target different uses in many cases, otherwise each would only make one Chip.
3. Wikipedia can give you some facts (possibly tainted by overzealous editing) and some "search terms" to look for.
4. Google (or other Search Tool) can answer your question.
5. We can't help you with your School work (unless your Hot and live nearby).
Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcarty View Post
I agree AMD has not had recent issues running Windows and Windows programs for several generations of their processors. It was around the time the Intel Pentium first came out that there were the last issues with certain programs not running on AMD processors.
The only things AMD chips had back then was running code that had been compiled by programs sponsored by Intel as the compilers added stuff to slow down any non-Intel chip running the code. Once that little "misunderstanding" was cleared up there haven't been any problems running anything.

Both AMD and Intel have had errata problems, but both could still run stuff even with them.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread