Intel Pentium D, the 4 has been dropped - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Hmm it looks like intel is gettin a lil scared dont you think?
So now putting out a new chip makes them scared?
Quote:
Meh, I think Intel is taking a dive bomb and are frantically trying to come out with something good to compete with after that emberassing article of it taking subzero temps and 5.2GHz to compete with the FX-55 lol
Yes, I am sure having 90+% of the market share has them in a panic!!!!!
__________________

__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,019
Default

arhh dont turn this into amd v p4 !

i dont understand the excitement with dual cores...

just makes it that more expensive =/
__________________

__________________
Sig reinstated. SigSanta
VIII is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Quote:
Yes, I am sure having 90+% of the market share has them in a panic!!!!!
Thats because 85% of that market is people who know crap about computers and/or own dells, compaq, PC's of that nature. Intel stock is dropping, AMD is rising, and you will never see an AMD commercial sporting 'HTT TECHNOLOGY!!' like its some crazy alien technology like intel is spouting in theres with 'INTEL PENTIUM 4 CELERONS WITH HT TECHNOLOGY' translates into "CRAP"
Nubius is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1
Default

Wow...
alspartan1 is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Thats because 85% of that market is people who know crap about computers and/or own dells, compaq, PC's of that nature. Intel stock is dropping, AMD is rising, and you will never see an AMD commercial sporting 'HTT TECHNOLOGY!!' like its some crazy alien technology like intel is spouting in theres with 'INTEL PENTIUM 4 CELERONS WITH HT TECHNOLOGY' translates into "CRAP"
That is one hell of a soap box you have there.
__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Field Engineer
 
SHAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,697
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN
Default

meh...
__________________
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
SHAWN is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,790
Default

Yeah, Intel has been pulling a lot of really weird things lately, they already have the "Celeron D" processor, and they are now releasing a "Pentium D" that has absolutely no relation to the former. It's just a marketing scheme to get people to feel they are getting virtually the same processor.

Also, the Current socket T (LGA775) will not support dual cores because of some sort of difference in architechture, so Intel are releasing another socket 775 that will run dual cores, but they are keeping them both the same name for some confusing reason.

Although I haven't heard much on the AMD Toledo core, I think AMD has an edge, I mean they've been sitting on dual cores for almost two years before Intel caught up with that, AMD has had a lot of time to sit back and put on another solid processor whereas Intel seems to be scrambling to keep up.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what's around the corner in regards to dual cores in the future for both companies, I really hope both are able to put a nice option.

Also, I've heard that Intel recently patented the name "Pentium IVI", which could shape up to be something interesting.
__________________
Intel C2D E6320 / AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Gigabyte 965P DS3 / DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 / 2GB OCZ Gold PC4000
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
gaara is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Quote:
That is one hell of a soap box you have there.
Dude instead of just making these little sly remarks why don't you actually say something in favor of the company you obviously choose.

Do you deny that Intel is marketing whores? That a HUGE portion of their market is made up of dell, compaq, HP and alike? Check your stock quotes and you'll see Intel dropping and AMD rising. This isn't to say that they won't have good days/months/ here and there, but they are certainly not what they used to be.

And the fact remains, AMD as small as it is compared to Intel is giving it one hell of a run and have had some major disappointments lately.

So again...instead of your 'Yeah they are scared with the market share' blah blah blah and/or soapbox which is pulled out of thin air, post what YOU think is going on with them.

Quote:
Also, the Current socket T (LGA775) will not support dual cores because of some sort of difference in architechture, so Intel are releasing another socket 775 that will run dual cores, but they are keeping them both the same name for some confusing reason.
Yeah says that in the article. Believe it may be heat reasons? Says this chip produces 130w TDP while current 775 boards only support up to 115w TDP...so yeah that sucks to be a 775 user if you just bought that board and then they tell you you have to get a more advanced one for the new processor. I don't think AMD's dual cores will require a new socket 939...hope not atleast.

Quote:
I mean they've been sitting on dual cores for almost two years before Intel caught up with that, AMD has had a lot of time to sit back and put on another solid processor whereas Intel seems to be scrambling to keep up.
<--- I guess gaara is on a soapbox too huh?
Nubius is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
idiotec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Dude instead of just making these little sly remarks why don't you actually say something in favor of the company you obviously choose.
That is exactly what I did in the first post, but of course soon to follow was the "Intel sucks" crap that is just spewed over and over and over and over again. We have all seen all the same benches. We all know AMD wins at games, and we can all see that Intel wins in some of the others.

There are people out there that need to do more on the computer than play games, and that when waying the different types of performance both chips bring to the table, choose one that is better at multitasking and business applications.

Quote:
Do you deny that Intel is marketing whores?
I really don't even understand the term "marketing whore" I am in business, and believe me, AMD just wants to make money as much as Intel does. That is what capitalism is all about. I'll take big business over big government any day.

Do you deny that this forum ends up being more "high horse" AMD jabber than actual technicle chat?
__________________

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
idiotec is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Nubius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,600
Default

Quote:
There are people out there that need to do more on the computer than play games, and that when waying the different types of performance both chips bring to the table, choose one that is better at multitasking and business applications.
Yeah no crap. But then you have your generalization that 'AMD = Gaming, Intel = Everything else' which is simply not true. That article regarding the Intel having to be at 5.2GHz to compete with the AMD FX-55 proves just that as they don't test JUST gaming but an array of synthetic benches, audio encoding, multimedia I believe, and arithmatic tests.

Quote:
I really don't even understand the term "marketing whore" I am in business, and believe me, AMD just wants to make money as much as Intel does. That is what capitalism is all about. I'll take big business over big government any day.
I say that in the sense that they will market their higher clock speeds that are in some cases less efficient. Marketing is one thing, but when you start making chips that have high clock speeds that can't even compete with a chip hundreds of MHz less, there's a problem there. They say 'with mobile technology!' when referring to a laptop...they say 'WITH HT TECHNOLOGY!' which means nothing. My hand as '*** wiping technology!!' but does that mean anything....no.

Yes I understand business is business, but in terms of people who know a bit about computers, AMD seems more bent on putting out CPU's for their buyers that will get the job done, and without spending millions, probably billions on marketing useless jargon that's meant to just go over the head of most people but make it sound 'glorious'

Quote:
Do you deny that this forum ends up being more "high horse" AMD jabber than actual technicle chat?
No I don't really, lots of AMD fans here, and why? Well that goes back to the fact that like I said, it SEEMS, meaning IMO, AMD produces CPUs that are directly geared towards us, like they actually listen to our demands for a good CPU. Yes there is a lot of 'INTEL SUCKS!' but at the same, time I never see anyone such as yourself, saying AMD SUCKS!....and heres technicaly data why. All I ever see you saying is 'Whatever...get off your high horse'...'get off the soap box' without any technical chat from yourself although this:

Quote:
These chips coming out really should be good for both Intel and AMD as it will get the technology out there which then, through competition, have both company's fight to make them better.
I completely agree with. If it wasn't for Intel being a huge coorperation striving to take complete control over the worlds entire supply of CPUs AMD wouldn't have pushed themselves to be where they are today.

But I'd much rather have a 5GHz chip from AMD knowing it would woop on up a 10GHz Intel, than to have an Intel with a 'high clock speed' just for the sake of bragging which can't even utilize it's cycles properly.
__________________

Nubius is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.