Intel Pentium D, the 4 has been dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050301050146.html

Regarding their dual cores which are appearantly supposed to be released a quarter earlier than expected which means Intel will have the dual cores out before AMD. Each core will be off of prescott design, which wasn't it the prescott that ran hot as it is? Believe somewhere in that article it said it won't be applicable to a lot of the current LGA-775 boards out right now.

Don't know. Can't wait until AMD has dual cores out too. Appearantly Intel is lowering clock speeds too with the addition of the dual cores because of the 'new effectiveness' in which they work

The wording in that article gave the most "hope" anyways for current board support though, compared to other articles I have read.

These chips coming out really should be good for both Intel and AMD as it will get the technology out there which then, through competition, have both company's fight to make them better.

It still seems like the 6xx series and now the "D", are kind of interim chips. I think it will be a name liek P5 that will combine these techologies with faster clock speeds and hopefully rip off AMD's HTT :p

Meh, I think Intel is taking a dive bomb and are frantically trying to come out with something good to compete with after that emberassing article of it taking subzero temps and 5.2GHz to compete with the FX-55 lol

I'm scared. Two prescotts running at around 7ghz total. I might wake up one morning to find myself in a pool of water because the heat melted the polar ice caps.

Nah it's not going to be 3.2GHz per core I believe. That's going to be the approx power of the combined cores, but 2 will be more efficient than one at say 3.8GHz

From what I've read about those chips, they're a lil too late and the FX-55 and other AMD chips will still clearly outperform intel in the gaming arena (which is what the dual core chips are targeting). So once i get the money up i will most likely buy an FX-51 or FX-55. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

From what I've read about those chips, they're a lil too late and the FX-55 and other AMD chips will still clearly outperform intel in the gaming arena (which is what the dual core chips are targeting). So once i get the money up i will most likely buy an FX-51 or FX-55. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Yeah I'm gonna have to pretty much agree with that.

I finally got my system up to a what I consider a good all around machine. 6600GT, 1gb of good RAM, that CAN OC quite well, but unfortunately a high FSB will cause my games to crash, but not any application...hoping it was just my crappy FX 5700 causing that, haven't gotten the 6600GT yet, just ordered it.

But yeah I figure this will last me atleast a year then I'll upgrade to PCI-E, Socket 939, and get a dual core CPU assuming I can afford it :p

I should get a dual core presscott. It's only 18 degrees celcious down here. Make it a bit comfier :)

Meh, lets just wait and see how many problems arise when they are first released. As that article said, currently the LGA-775 motherboards can't even support the dual core even though it's the same socket. It puts out 130TDP while most boards only support up to 115, so yeah, gotta buy a whole new LGA-775 board if you got it.

I hope AMD doesnt do something like that with their dual cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom