Intel P3 on P4 mother board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoobydoo

Beta member
This is probably a dumb question, but I have a intel pentium p3 processor. The old mother board on it just got fried. I was wondering if a purchased a p4 motherboard if I could stick the p3 processor onto it, until I have enough money to buy a p4 processor. Thanks in advanced. The p3 intel process is a 933mhz by the way.

thank you
Scoobydoo

I think the sockets are different.

If i'm not mistaken, PIIIs are a socket 370 and P4s are socket 875.

So, the answer to your question is no, you won't be able to put a p3 processor into a p4 mobo.

oops, the p4 is a socket 478. Not sure where i got 875 from. :)

First generation Pentium 4s are Socket 423; Socket 478 became the standard a year after its release. Either way, you will not be able to get it to work. Almost every time Intel has released a new processor, the platform changed.

yes, just about every CPU has a different socket - a few exceptions are the Celeron's which are based on P2, P3 or P4, and the Duron's which share the same socket size as the Athlon's and Athlon XP's

Just a question, have you tried overclocking, i have the same processor and have had a fair amount of success with it. Try overcloking til you have enough money for a pentium 4 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom