Intel Heatsink Question... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2004, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Intel Heatsink Question...

About 3 months ago, I purchased a 2.8 GHz P4 retail package, with the heatsink included. The package did not come with any thermal paste to put between the CPU and the heatsink, however, there seemed to be some sort of a compond already on the heatsink. I seached through the manual to see if it said anything about adding a thermal paste, but found nothing. I finally went ahead and installed it as is. I have been monitoring the tempuratue of the processor on a regular basis just to make sure that I made the right decision, and it has always been 44-45 degrees C. Should I have put a thermal paste on it anyway?

The reason I am asking this question is because about a week ago, my computer stopped working. It worked just fine in the morning, but when I went to turn it on later in the day, nothing. The power light and the HD light came on and stayed on. The fans were running, but that was it. I contacted my mobo manufacturer (Soyo), and they gave me a whole list of things to try to see if I could at least get the mobo to post, but no luck. They suggested I try using another processor to see if that is the problem, but I don't have any extra P4s lying around. I am using a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2, which I purchased brand new the same time I purchased the CPU.

Is it possible that the processor failed because of the absence of the thermal paste?

Old 07-17-2004, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

44-45 degrees C is just fine. My AMD runs at 48-51 degrees with no problems yet.

You don't need to put thermal paste on your heat sink. The "compound" on the heat sink does the same job. It's called thremal tape. Tape is not as effective as paste but it still works. The compound is only there to fill the very,very small gaps between processor and heat sink.

I think your motherboard died on you. If you cant get it to post the take/send it back to where you bought it and get a new one.

Finally, Your processor did not die from lack of thermal paste. The BIOS would have shut the computer off before you got to lethal temperatures.

Lian Li Aluminum Case
Intel D975XBXK2R Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6700 CPU
EVGA 8800 GTS Video Card
Corsair XMS 2 x 1gig RAM
Zalman 9500 CPU cooler
Old 07-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I dont think so. Can u state your system especially PSU power.
Maybe not insufficient powet to boot the machine.

If the processor failed because of the absence of the thermal paste, this mean that overheat, if overheat, u can post, access your OS like normal, just that when the cpu get overheat, it will automatic shut down your PC with "beep" sound continuos which u have to unplug the power chord.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4000+
2GB Kingston DDRII667Mhz
MSI 256MB GeForce8500GT
Western Digital 160GB SATAII HDD
Maxtor 80GB 8M ATA133 HDD
17" Samsung 793Dfx Monitor
Win XP Pro
Old 07-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the answers! I agree, it does sound more like the mobo than the processor. I just wanted some confirmation. Now, to convince Soyo!

BTW, I am using an Antec TruePower 430-Watt PSU.

I feel better knowing that I didn't mess up the processor!

Closed Thread