Intel Developer Forum 22nm Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Intel Developer Forum 22nm Facts

Intel, in conjunction with the world's first demonstration of chips built on 22nm process technology, has posted a fact sheet today (.PDF) covering the highlights of the Intel's upcoming 22nm high-k metal gate process technology:

SRAMs are used as test vehicles to demonstrate technology performance, process yield and chip reliability prior to ramping processors and other logic chips that will use the given manufacturing process.

Intel is now in full development mode on 22nm and on pace to continue the company's "tick- tock" model into the next generation.

The 22nm test circuits include both SRAM memory and logic circuits to be used on 22nm microprocessors.

SRAM cells of 0.108 and 0.092 square microns function in an array totaling 364 million bits. The 0.108 square micron cell is optimized for low voltage operation. The .092 square micron cell is optimized for high density and is the smallest SRAM cell in working circuits reported to date.

The test chip packs 2.9 billion transistors, at approximately double the density of the previous 32nm generation, in an area as small as a fingernail.

The 22nm dimensions are patterned with exposure tools using light with a wavelength of 193nm, a remarkable testament to the ingenuity of Intel's lithography engineers.

This 22nm technology continues to deliver the promise of Moore's Law: smaller transistors, improved performance/watt and lower cost per transistor.

Yep anything like that will, to be honest though I am more impressed by how much they can die shrink. I was listening to intel's youtube channel and they posted a video a while back about how they are looking into "Grown" processors for a RnD project on Green IT as they are cheaper to produce, faster to make and require a whole less lot of power to make I have no idea how they are getting on with it and to be honest it's not often I say this but "Go Intel".

Unbelivable, I know intel is doing well in and all, but are they that determined to destroy AMD ?
I like intel because they have a interesting line up, but amd has some good ones as well.
AMD maybe a few miles back from intel, but atleast let AMD have some time to give intel a no way in **** match that will end this 4 decades of figthing for us and number one cpu maker.

Anybody keeping up with Cyrix or VIA's cpu line up ? I heard they are currently trying to take down intels atom, celeron line up one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom