Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah Deneb is slow. :p
Core i7 is twice as fast as the fastest Agena, and Deneb is only a minor improvement.

Also the I45 is the best overcocker board. No AMD or any other board for that matter beats it. And phenoms overclock like a Geo Metro.

Oh yeah Deneb is slow. :p
Might as well say C2Q is slow while you're at it.
Core i7 is twice as fast as the fastest Agena
In a few benchmarks. But in for example gaming, Core i7 is not much of an improvement, while being a lot more expensive.
and Deneb is only a minor improvement.
Depends what you consider minor to be.
Shanghai has a bigger improvement over Barcelona than Yorkfield vs Kentsfield. On average it's about 10-15%
Plus, the performance per watt is much better. 3GHZ right out of the gate at stock, and much better overclockability is nothing to sneeze at.

Also the I45 is the best overcocker board. No AMD or any other board for that matter beats it.
How do you judge a board's overclocking capability if the CPU (eg Agena) is reaching its limits?
And phenoms overclock like a Geo Metro.
Deneb would like a word with you.

In a few benchmarks. But in for example gaming, Core i7 is not much of an improvement, while being a lot more expensive.

Actually it was a gaming benchmark that Core i7 got double the fps. With the same video card and settings.

How do you judge a board's overclocking capability if the CPU (eg Agena) is reaching its limits?

I judge it by the fact that the I45 has the world record for the highest absolute FSB.

Might as well say C2Q is slow while you're at it.

Well all things being relative, if you compare it to Core i7 everything is slow. But Phenom is currently losing against chips that are 2 generations old. I don't know any other way to describe it.

Deneb would like a word with you.

OK, so here I guess an apology is owed. I was a little harsh, I was just trying to think of a good analogy and I had Geo Metros on my mind already.

Actually it was a gaming benchmark that Core i7 got double the fps. With the same video card and settings.
I'm guessing it was a heavily CPU dependant game that could run on 8 threads.
But almost every other game has a negligible boost if any. Sometimes it even was slower than a similarly clocked Yorkfield.

I judge it by the fact that the I45 has the world record for the highest absolute FSB.
FSB is not directly comparable to HTT, and isn't the only factor in overclocking.
HTT at a certain clock speed is faster than FSB. And there's also things like power regulation to consider (K8 and K10 CPU's need better power regulation, partly because of their IMC). And some CPU's like to overclock using the multiplier instead (X2's did well on HTT increases, but Phenom likes multiplier increases better than HTT increases).
Basically it's an apples to oranges comparision.

Well all things being relative, if you compare it to Core i7 everything is slow.
Yorkfield will often outperform it in gaming benchmarks by a little.
But Phenom is currently losing against chips that are 2 generations old. I don't know any other way to describe it.
I wouldn't consider Yorkfield to be a new generation over Kentsfield.
And I don't think Q6600 is faster than 9950 on average.

OK, so here I guess an apology is owed. I was a little harsh, I was just trying to think of a good analogy and I had Geo Metros on my mind already.
well Agena is a bit lacking compared to Kentsfield in overclocking. I still wouldn't say it's bad, but just not as good.

But I am quite looking forward to Deneb

I wouldn't consider Yorkfield to be a new generation over Kentsfield.
And I don't think Q6600 is faster than 9950 on average.

Intel considers it a new Generation. Penryn addressed several shortcomings to Conroe and improved on it a fair bit.

I'm guessing it was a heavily CPU dependant game that could run on 8 threads.
But almost every other game has a negligible boost if any. Sometimes it even was slower than a similarly clocked Yorkfield.

Actually it was in several games. You are referencing the old benchmarks. The newer ones paint a much different story. I think I showed you this link earlier.

Intel Core i7 "Nehalem" CPU Review - hardCOREware.net

well Agena is a bit lacking compared to Kentsfield in overclocking. I still wouldn't say it's bad, but just not as good.

Hey I said I was sorry, but that doesn't mean Agena can't OC.

Just thinking about the price tag on the Deneb come release date makes me shiver.

If it will be $300 USD, then it will be like over $400 and even more when you add shipping and handling.

The Q9550 was $320 on newegg, while it was $414 on newegg canada..... which was BEFORE shipping and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom