Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning) - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #61 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
CntdwnToExtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Parents Basement...Still
Posts: 1,746
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosBoost300 View Post
newegg canada says new q6600 for 224.99

750i ftw 201.99 brand new
newegg.ca also says 9950 BE for $199
saw $185 the other day.

pair that with a GA-MA790GP-DS4H for $171 and you've got something comparable for cheaper.
:P
__________________

__________________
[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!


CntdwnToExtn is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Yeah but switch that 750i for an I45.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
CntdwnToExtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Parents Basement...Still
Posts: 1,746
Send a message via MSN to CntdwnToExtn
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

meh, switch out the gigabyte for biostar tforce 790gx fer $123 and it's all good.
XD.

oh yea....deneb ready too XD
__________________
[110.7896] Getting up from chair
[112.8798] Walking to fridge
[118.5234] Opening Fridge
[119.1439] CntdwnToExtn panic - no beer: Fridge empty!


CntdwnToExtn is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #64 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Oh yeah Deneb is slow. :P
Core i7 is twice as fast as the fastest Agena, and Deneb is only a minor improvement.

Also the I45 is the best overcocker board. No AMD or any other board for that matter beats it. And phenoms overclock like a Geo Metro.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Oh yeah Deneb is slow. :P
Might as well say C2Q is slow while you're at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Core i7 is twice as fast as the fastest Agena
In a few benchmarks. But in for example gaming, Core i7 is not much of an improvement, while being a lot more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
and Deneb is only a minor improvement.
Depends what you consider minor to be.
Shanghai has a bigger improvement over Barcelona than Yorkfield vs Kentsfield. On average it's about 10-15%
Plus, the performance per watt is much better. 3GHZ right out of the gate at stock, and much better overclockability is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:
Also the I45 is the best overcocker board. No AMD or any other board for that matter beats it.
How do you judge a board's overclocking capability if the CPU (eg Agena) is reaching its limits?
Quote:
And phenoms overclock like a Geo Metro.
Deneb would like a word with you.
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Quote:
In a few benchmarks. But in for example gaming, Core i7 is not much of an improvement, while being a lot more expensive.
Actually it was a gaming benchmark that Core i7 got double the fps. With the same video card and settings.

Quote:
How do you judge a board's overclocking capability if the CPU (eg Agena) is reaching its limits?
I judge it by the fact that the I45 has the world record for the highest absolute FSB.

Quote:
Might as well say C2Q is slow while you're at it.
Well all things being relative, if you compare it to Core i7 everything is slow. But Phenom is currently losing against chips that are 2 generations old. I don't know any other way to describe it.

Quote:
Deneb would like a word with you.
OK, so here I guess an apology is owed. I was a little harsh, I was just trying to think of a good analogy and I had Geo Metros on my mind already.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #67 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Actually it was a gaming benchmark that Core i7 got double the fps. With the same video card and settings.
I'm guessing it was a heavily CPU dependant game that could run on 8 threads.
But almost every other game has a negligible boost if any. Sometimes it even was slower than a similarly clocked Yorkfield.

Quote:
I judge it by the fact that the I45 has the world record for the highest absolute FSB.
FSB is not directly comparable to HTT, and isn't the only factor in overclocking.
HTT at a certain clock speed is faster than FSB. And there's also things like power regulation to consider (K8 and K10 CPU's need better power regulation, partly because of their IMC). And some CPU's like to overclock using the multiplier instead (X2's did well on HTT increases, but Phenom likes multiplier increases better than HTT increases).
Basically it's an apples to oranges comparision.

Quote:
Well all things being relative, if you compare it to Core i7 everything is slow.
Yorkfield will often outperform it in gaming benchmarks by a little.
Quote:
But Phenom is currently losing against chips that are 2 generations old. I don't know any other way to describe it.
I wouldn't consider Yorkfield to be a new generation over Kentsfield.
And I don't think Q6600 is faster than 9950 on average.

Quote:
OK, so here I guess an apology is owed. I was a little harsh, I was just trying to think of a good analogy and I had Geo Metros on my mind already.
well Agena is a bit lacking compared to Kentsfield in overclocking. I still wouldn't say it's bad, but just not as good.

But I am quite looking forward to Deneb
__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Old 11-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #68 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Quote:
I wouldn't consider Yorkfield to be a new generation over Kentsfield.
And I don't think Q6600 is faster than 9950 on average.
Intel considers it a new Generation. Penryn addressed several shortcomings to Conroe and improved on it a fair bit.


Quote:
I'm guessing it was a heavily CPU dependant game that could run on 8 threads.
But almost every other game has a negligible boost if any. Sometimes it even was slower than a similarly clocked Yorkfield.
Actually it was in several games. You are referencing the old benchmarks. The newer ones paint a much different story. I think I showed you this link earlier.

Intel Core i7 "Nehalem" CPU Review - hardCOREware.net

Quote:
well Agena is a bit lacking compared to Kentsfield in overclocking. I still wouldn't say it's bad, but just not as good.
Hey I said I was sorry, but that doesn't mean Agena can't OC.
__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 11-15-2008, 01:35 AM   #69 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart
 
Hussein19891's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,209
Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

Just thinking about the price tag on the Deneb come release date makes me shiver.

If it will be $300 USD, then it will be like over $400 and even more when you add shipping and handling.

The Q9550 was $320 on newegg, while it was $414 on newegg canada..... which was BEFORE shipping and handling.
__________________


Hussein19891 is offline  
Old 11-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #70 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: Intel Core i7 hits 5ghz (56k warning)

S&H isn't $100. And I hope it never will be, but I see your point.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS Intel Extreme Core 2 Duo QX6850 kagekitsune Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 10 10-10-2008 02:34 PM
Intel bans Nvidia Apokalipse Polls 66 06-24-2008 05:26 PM
Processor confusion Intel Core 2's zwh02 New Systems | Building and Buying 16 01-22-2008 02:29 AM
OCC makes a quad core bike for Intel. Jayce Off Topic Discussion 31 12-31-2007 12:35 AM
intel quad core lowend server - final sale! Demalii Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals 1 10-10-2007 09:08 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.