Intel or AMD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Intel or AMD?

i wanna build a gud high-performance pc, nd i want a STABLE one! i heard tht u get rly good performance with Intel's Petium 4's but I hear they're not as reilable and stable as the AMD ones. any1 out there hu can clarify this?

Old 09-10-2004, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

dont know about stability of the too bein different but if its high performance you want then its gotta be 64 bit which is AMD, well you dont have to go 64 bit but its the way of the future

Old 09-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Intel doesn't have an affordable 64bit processor yet...only for server usage

For 64bit go for the AMD 64 processors.

If you want to play games you have to go AMD
For heavy applications like picture/video editing, photoshop, golive etc go for a dual-CPU system or a P4 with HT technology
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 09-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Apps go for Intel, for games go with AMD

<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">Desktop: 3.0ghz HT 800fsb P4, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, 2x 512mb GEIL Dual Channel DDR400, 80gb 7200rpm ATA HD, Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX Speakers, Turbolink 420watt PSU, Black 19\" Orion Monitor, Logitech MX Duo and Win XP Home</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">My Wishlist: 74gb 10K SATA Western Digital Raptor...</marquee>
Old 10-10-2004, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Originally posted by The Merlin
Apps go for Intel, for games go with AMD
Ye, but i do both. I am a gamer, but i also do tons of app kinda stuff! Where dya go nw?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

amd have the same performance as intel, and even in some aspects better performance at a much lower cost. is the case of stability, both are stable as long as they dont overheat and get proper steady current from your psu. for reliable software, use linux, but for games use windows. the good thing about linux is that you can recompile the kernal for your custom hardware, like amd athlon xp, 64bit or intel hardware.
Core 2 Duo E6400, DFI Infinity 975X/G, 2x 512mb DDR2 667mhz, Albatron 7900gt, WD 200gb SATA, Samsung DVD-RW, Silverstone ST-50EF 500w PSU.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i would go with a amd 64. in lots benchmarks for apps, they score almost as much as intel, if not more in some places now. You can go to and and search for amd processors or w/e, and there and a bunch of benchmarks. i went through alll of them, and i chose to go with the 3500+. I do both gaming, and lots apps.
My current specs:
i7 920
Biostar TPower x58
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 10-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

I personally use Intel, after having a messed up AMD expirience. I have a P4E (prescott) 3.2 that's overclocked to 3.51 and blows away both games and multiple programs at a time, thanks to hyperthreading.

Although, I MIGHT try a AMD FX next time I build a kickin PC, just to test the AMD waters again.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Default Re: Intel or AMD?

Originally posted by NX5

i wanna build a gud high-performance pc, nd i want a STABLE one! i heard tht u get rly good performance with Intel's Petium 4's but I hear they're not as reilable and stable as the AMD ones. any1 out there hu can clarify this?
you have got it right

Amd put protection in their computer

stick a video card in wrong, you will see what i talking about.
Amd won't boot until you fix it. Pent 4.... it try to come on and fry itself

once i came home from a thunderstorm. my computer's were off my amd computer circuit breaker kick off. I turn it back on and all was well. my gateway (pent 4) was fried.

another time the electric thing for our house electric exploded on the telephone pole . the amd was fine. the gateway harddrive had an unbootable mount error and i had to reinstall xp. I lost my data too.

but that said

I've had no problems with My wife's sony Viao

P.S. pent 4 handle video chores better, but amd handle everything else better like burning cd, games, etc.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Athlon 64's are faster in 32-bit than P4's, and will be even better in 64-bit
even the socket 754's which don't support dual channel perform better than the P4's
AMD CPU's also are designed better so that their architecture supports more instructions than P4's do. the Semprons and Athlon 64's support all of the 32-bit instructions, and the P4's sometimes won't be able to process some
also, the time it takes to complete instructions is much less on AMD CPU's; where it takes an Intel CPU like 13 clock cycles to complete a complex instruction, it takes AMD about 3
and for shorter instructions AMD's complete more per clock cycle

Closed Thread