Installing Radeon Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

okyecam

Beta member
my computer came equipped with a ProSavage 32mb video card, but i recently bought an ati radeon 9200 128mb video card that i wanted to install. the problem i'm having is getting rid of my original prosavage video card; i can't seem to uninstall it properly or to even find the video card in my computer to remove it, and so my computer automatically sets it as the default video card.

btw, my computer uses windows xp, has a 1.7 gb athalon processor, and has 256 mb memory, in case that helps

was it onboard? pci? agp?

if it was onboard disable it from the bios and be sure to enable the agp.
second, go to your add/remove programs and look for the prosavage software, then remove it.

just a note of interest, as i'm sure you've already noticed there is no fan on the heatsink (least my 9200 didn't come with one), so you might want to get a small fan and screw it on. The performance seemed better after i put one on mine.

Also, there are drivers you can get called omega drivers that work really well and are far more customizable esp if you want to overclock the card. just be sure to have a fan on it if you OC it.

Before you install the 9200, make sure you format your harddrive, re-partition it, and reinstall windows. The remains of your drivers from your original video card will screw up any new video card you put in.

geez, wq87, all that doesn't have to be done as long as the old drivers are uninstalled. I didn't have to and i had nvidia before i got my 9200 radeon 128mb. just the uninstall and new install.

if i'd had to reformat my drive just to change vid cards i would have said screw it!!!

We are here to help him, not to debate. If all else fails, my idea is the last.

i don't mean to sound stupid (although i am), but what is bios and how do i disable the driver from there? (sorry, but when it comes to hardware, i'm really computer illiterate)

When your machine starts up, a diagnostic screen will come up, showing your processor, RAM, disk drive information, etc. Usually what will also appear is a designated key to go into the BIOS setup (usually F1, F2 or Delete depending on the motherboard).

Once you are in the BIOS setup, look for an option to disable the onboard/integrated graphics controller. If there is no option, simply head into Windows, go into the System Options of the Control Panel, then head to the Device Manager, right click the integrated graphics controller, and disable it from there. Afterwards, you can install the new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom