Installing Radeon Video Card - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Installing Radeon Video Card

my computer came equipped with a ProSavage 32mb video card, but i recently bought an ati radeon 9200 128mb video card that i wanted to install. the problem i'm having is getting rid of my original prosavage video card; i can't seem to uninstall it properly or to even find the video card in my computer to remove it, and so my computer automatically sets it as the default video card.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

btw, my computer uses windows xp, has a 1.7 gb athalon processor, and has 256 mb memory, in case that helps

Old 06-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

was it onboard? pci? agp?

if it was onboard disable it from the bios and be sure to enable the agp.
second, go to your add/remove programs and look for the prosavage software, then remove it.

just a note of interest, as i'm sure you've already noticed there is no fan on the heatsink (least my 9200 didn't come with one), so you might want to get a small fan and screw it on. The performance seemed better after i put one on mine.

Also, there are drivers you can get called omega drivers that work really well and are far more customizable esp if you want to overclock the card. just be sure to have a fan on it if you OC it.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Before you install the 9200, make sure you format your harddrive, re-partition it, and reinstall windows. The remains of your drivers from your original video card will screw up any new video card you put in.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

geez, wq87, all that doesn't have to be done as long as the old drivers are uninstalled. I didn't have to and i had nvidia before i got my 9200 radeon 128mb. just the uninstall and new install.

if i'd had to reformat my drive just to change vid cards i would have said screw it!!!
Old 06-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

We are here to help him, not to debate. If all else fails, my idea is the last.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i don't mean to sound stupid (although i am), but what is bios and how do i disable the driver from there? (sorry, but when it comes to hardware, i'm really computer illiterate)
Old 06-13-2004, 03:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

When your machine starts up, a diagnostic screen will come up, showing your processor, RAM, disk drive information, etc. Usually what will also appear is a designated key to go into the BIOS setup (usually F1, F2 or Delete depending on the motherboard).

Once you are in the BIOS setup, look for an option to disable the onboard/integrated graphics controller. If there is no option, simply head into Windows, go into the System Options of the Control Panel, then head to the Device Manager, right click the integrated graphics controller, and disable it from there. Afterwards, you can install the new graphics card.

I judge you when you use poor grammar.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

wq87, it wasn't meant to be a debate, your suggestion is just a LAST resort option.

Closed Thread